How To Request Graphic Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfoBot

Informational Bot
Corporate Membership
I see a lot of people demanding much and not stating anything relevant in their first post. Result? Designers start cribbing and curse wjunction for low quality buyers. You see, a designer needs his set of instructions before starting. So, I am writing a GENERAL form which you guys should fill so that a designer can help you server better.

Items marked with * should be mentioned all the time.

TEMPLATE FOR REQUESTING GRAPHIC WORK :
  • Type of graphic:* Logo/Banner/Icon/favicon.
  • Description: Describe your graphic.
  • Preferred dimensions:* width(in pixels) X height(in pixels)
  • Preferred colors: Optional. If possible, specify in HEX code.
  • Text* Text goes here. Describe your text. Type in if you have any preferred fonts.
  • Format* Preferred format. PNG/JPEG/GIF/BMP/ICO/SVG whatever.
  • Link to website: If you have any color scheme to follow then posting the website link is a good idea.
  • Example:Many a times people want something along the lines of some other design.You should mention that also so that the designer can get your taste.
  • Graphic Integration:Sometimes, buyers expect the graphic artists to upload the work to their site and modify the code/use CMS and use it. Specify if you want this and also the forum software/CMS.
  • Timeframe: * In days. (ASAP is not a timeframe.)
  • Payment:* Free/Paid. If paid then how much and via* Paypal/Moneybookers/ bank transfer etc.

*Also specify if you are going to reward the job to AT LEAST 1 applicant or not. Really helps in cleaning the freeloaders and time wasters.

Also, if you are requesting something for free then make sure that you are being EXTRA polite while requesting. A good gesture is key to success!

TEMPLATE FOR REQUESTING WEBSITE DESIGN :
  • Pages:* How many pages you are looking for to be designed separately.
  • Description: Describe your graphic.
  • Preferred dimensions:* width(in pixels) X height(in pixels)
  • Link to website: If you have any color scheme to follow then posting the website link is a good idea.
  • CMS/Forum/software used* Different CMS/forum/softwares have their different typical layout. Its wise to indicate that beforehand. Also, if you can indicate the coding practices used like html5/css3/jquery then that will also be helpful to a designer to a great extent.
  • Rough mockup: If you have a specific layout in mind then you should always give that to the designer. You don't need to be a designer to do this. Just open up Paint, scribble around and give that to your designers. Designers know far enough to understand it easily.
  • Example:Many a times people want something along the lines of some other design.You should mention that also so that the designer can get your taste.
  • Timeframe: * In days. (ASAP is NOT a timeframe.)
  • Payment:* Free/Paid. If paid then how much(or price/page) and via Paypal/Moneybookers/ bank transfer etc.
  • Upfront:* Free/Paid. If paid then how much upfront are you ready to pay(helps reduces the risk for designers)

Just wanted to help my fellow designers by eliminating the guess work.
Regards,
Nitish.

Coming soon:
  1. [STRIKE] template for website designing request.[/STRIKE]
  2. Best practices/tips for a smoother transaction between a designer/buyer.

18 comments
I totally agree with Nitish and sometimes we designers find it hard to understand what actually buyer requests because of improper instructions. It'll be easy for both designers and buyer if we follow this format of Instruction Request. Thank you so much for a useful thread which is most required to us.

I know man, I can totally feel the pain. I was just reading a thread and I felt bad where the buyer didn't care to specify a shit and then selected nobody for not making anything good.

These kind of threads are made many times ! But no buyer cares to follow them. Its great that you have taken effort to list out all these things again with some more additions! :)
We can have a remedy only if site staff be serious at on Graphics section and do something!

(No Offense staff)
But you must be sticking these kinda threads and make them read by every new user instead of Promoting someone's portfolio,it shows kinda partiality.(I mean of CB Graphics Sticky thread in past [No offense CB] )

Let the buyer decide the best! 8-)

Hoping there will be some serious action taken by WJ staff <3.

Yea, I reported my post to be stickied (I know that is not a word). Lets see what the staff decides. I was thinking of making 1 thread with instructions to the buyers as well as the contractors to follow while making a thread. We can redirect a user to this thread when he comes to the graphic section for the first time.

But, you are right, it all comes down to what the staff decides and how serious the staff is regarding the implementation of the rules.

A big request to all the designers:
Since, reading and complying to this thread is not a rule, we can make it a general trend/non official thingy. Just don't start working until a user complies with the 1st post of this thread. This will teach them slowly.

Deadmau, if the designer fails to deliver on time then you can just post a feedback and not pay him. This will really give a heads up to everyone else. But you should at least listen to him. Maybe he had a valid reason.
It works both ways. Sometimes an employer fails to pay on time/is busy with some work then designers understand and wait for him for one or more day. But yes, if you are punctual then you should get the work on time. :)

Deadmau, if the designer fails to deliver on time then you can just post a feedback and not pay him.

Sorry Nitish that i come Back to this Topic but how you know we have talk about not delievered Work in Time.

So i posted a Feedback and how you can see any Mod or admin did remove it.

So whats the Point now Critic is not accepted @ WJ anymore that is what its showing me ;)

The only gfxer that i only now Trust here is Rohitt and Maybe you becouse you are Trusted on this Site for your Work.

But WJ should not Delete Negative Feedbacks that brings other Users nothing!

Best Greetz to you ;)

Deadmau, I really don't think any admin or mod would do that without a real reason behind it. Contact staff for the same issue. I don't know how others work but at least I want my clients to come back so I try to offer best services.
But yes, you are correct, I will try to create a topic for the designers too, for the best practices suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back