How to remove CSS Expression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rox

I was optimizing my site using gtmetrix and i see a suggestion of removing CSS Expressions. Can anybody please help me removing it as i am not aware of how to do it. tried googling it but could not figure it out :|

Below is the css code which has the expression.

Code:
@import url("stylesheets/master.css");.aligncenter{display:block;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;} .alignleft{float:left;} .alignright{float:right;} #content img{border:3px solid #fff;max-width:616px;width:expression(this.width > 616 ? 616:true);}

21 comments
The bold part is the CSS Expression
#content img{
border:3px solid #fff;
max-width:616px;
width:expression(this.width > 616 ? 616:true);
}

Change it to
Code:
#content img{
border:3px solid #fff;
width:616px;
}

Don't use @import to link the stylesheet. Its depreciated.
Use link instead of @import
Many people might not be aware of this but the usage of @import may cause some extreme performance problem when the site grows big. Even the people at W3C depreciate the usage of @import.
Read this article to know more.
Using @import within a stylesheet adds one more roundtrip to the overall download time of the page.
Using @import in IE causes the download order to be altered. This may cause stylesheets to take longer to download, which hinders progress rendering making the page feel slower.
Read More

i read through it and i am confused about how to give the url!! i tried -Im.z2ight- suggestion and it didn't work...

this is the path btw - wp-content/themes/traction/stylesheets/master.css

PHP:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php bloginfo('template_url') ?>/stylesheets/master.css" />

Put that in the <head> which should output something like this:
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://localhost/wordpress/wp-content/themes/twentyeleven/stylesheets/master.css" />

Last edited:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="themes/traction/stylesheets/master.css " />

I don't know your site folder so this should work unless you have another folder before this where your index is located. Which folder is your WP index in?

@ humour
its increasing the load time

@ apathetic
not working bro

well it shouldnt. When u just combine ur css files it would actually help ur site. It should reduce the load time(by eliminating the time taken to request another file & shiz)

What happens when the available screen width is less than 616??

Screws up the layout. I am not saying right or wrong but something to keep in mind.

Try this:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_url'); ?>" type="text/css" media="screen" />

OR

<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/master.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />

What happens when the available screen width is less than 616??

Screws up the layout. I am not saying right or wrong but something to keep in mind.

yep, blaze's code did screw up the images because it mentioned "width" instead of "max-width" :P fixed it anyway..

@ Blaze

no, does not work :|

just curious, m i doing it right :facepalm: see code below i updated. is it correct?

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/master.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />;.aligncenter{display:block;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto;} .alignleft{float:left;} .alignright{float:right;} #content img{border:3px solid #fff;max-width:616px;}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back