How to Choose Hosting...I'm Confused...Need Your Suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolguy558

hi guys.,

i'm talking abt shared hosting...(offshore)

one host named X provide...20GB Space...100 GB bandwidth...
another host named Y provide very less 1GB Space....Only 50GB bandwidth...
another host named Z provide 70GB Space...250GB bandwidth...
etc...
etc...

all of them provide for the same cost 1.99$....but why so much...variation...what's the difference...??

its quite obvious...everybody choose only host named Z..,as it provides more...

but i'm confused...

whether trusted host provide only less...or untrusted provide more...to lure more people...into their host and scam them....

how to choose host...??

need your comments...

Last edited:
9 comments
XSLtel (ecatel) and/or knownsrv (both trusted persons) they care for each customer and of course they are accurate. They can deal from smaller to larger issues/projects according to your needs.

never go with the quantity... go for quality. also do some research on google, read reviews in forums. check for how long they are in this hosting business? How good/fast is there support? and always read the TOS (Terms of service), see is they offer any SLA on shared hosting or not. check there domain stat on who.is, to confirm when there domain was registered.

There is a lot of things to consider before you choose a good hosting provider.

See if host is confident

Check the terms of service (TOS) contract.

You have hit gold if the host offers something like a prorated refund of any unused balance should you find the service unacceptable.

Typically you'll see things like a 30 day refund policy. So if you buy a year's worth of service the less reputable host need only provide 30 days of service before it can walk away with your money.

I had that happen with an Italian outfit called Host-Arena. They has a low-cost reseller plan for shared hosting. We bought a month, put up some trivial sites, and put an external monitor to work checking every 15 minutes. The site would go down from time to time but the outages were short. They also supported SMTP port 2500 (a must in the US because many ISPs and hotels block port 25).

To make a long story short, we ended up buying two years of service. Four months later they got mad when we reported problems and announced that they were deliberately closing our access to SMTP port 2500 -- effectively giving us a useless service for the remainder of the two years. And, since they curtailed the service provided after the first 30 days, there would be no refund.

Another indication of provider quality is if the TOS contains a penalty should you contest a bill or draw on your credit card. Some providers have a clause that says that you agree to pay them money if you contest a bill. I have seen "administrative fees" as high as $200 in some contracts. Obviously that sort of clause should be a concern.

Contracts are the plan for what will happen if things go wrong. They are tedious to read but they are a window into the provider's attitude and often reflect the kinds of problems the provider has had in the past.

I hope this information is useful,

Aza D. Oberman
Wshington DC USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back