How to Auto RaR Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

cotufa-ssdd

Hello WJ!

I recently saw a new thread asking about how to rar files automatically

So I decided to make a little tutorial that may help many, hope it does:

My technique uses a BATCH script I made and a scheduled task involving this BATCH file.

So first open up notepad or your favorite text editor

Type the following:

@ECHO OFF

cd C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress

SET PATH=C:;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinRAR;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;%PATH%

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.rar" "%%~fd"

EXIT

Save this as AutoRaR.bat (or whatever you want) and save it where you want

So the first path ¨C:\directory_you_want_to_compress¨ is the directory where the files you want to compress are located

SET PATH looks for rar.exe to run in command prompt
DO NOT EDIT THIS

DO WinRar executes winrar
-m0 is the compression level, where compresion level (0-store...3-default ...5-maximal) you can set which ever you want

-ep excludes the path from the created rar name (You can remove if you want to include path)

-df deletes the original files in the main directory you set first ¨C:\directory_you_want_to_compress¨
You can remove this if you want to maintain the files and remove manually later

Example:
[SLIDE]http://i48.tinypic.com/2qib6mu.png[/SLIDE]

Now create a new scheduled task to run AutoRaR.bat for example hourly, daily, weekly or whatever your needs

To create a new scheduled task go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Task Scheduler and from here follow the wizard

Thats it Folks! Hope I helped!

Enjoy
cotufa-ssdd​

NOTE: I have provided this as open source for anyone to use and modify
Please test before using on your original files

::EDIT::

I added suggestions tha WJ members have requested to the primary post:

EXCLUDE RAR FILES FROM RE-COMPRESSION:

@ECHO OFF​

cd C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress​

SET PATH=C:;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinRAR;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Win dows\System32\Wbem;%PATH%​

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df -x*.rar "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.rar" "%%~fd"​

move /-y "C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress\*.rar" "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\"
EXIT​

Where -x*.rar means ¨exclude all .rar files¨. You can add more files to exclude for example add another -x*.zip​

Since you excluded all rar files, they will stay in the original directory, thats what the next code does, move, this is simply moving all .rar files to the same directory where the compressions are being made.​

COMPRESS IN MULTIVOLUMES:

Edit this line:​

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df -x*.rar -v100m "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.rar" "%%~fd"​

-v100m will save multivolumes of 100m. Or change to whatever you need..​

ADD README, INSTRUCTION OR ANY ¨BASE¨ FILE TO ALL COMPRESSIONS:

@ECHO OFF​

for /D %%f in ("C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress\*") do copy "C:\directory_with_readme.txt\readme.txt" "%%f\"

cd C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress​

SET PATH=C:;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinRAR;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Win dows\System32\Wbem;%PATH%​

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df -v100m -x*.rar "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.rar" "%%~fd"​

EXIT​

This new line will add the readme.txt to all original folders before compression. It then moves on to compress each folder to the specifications discussed earlier.​

Notice that the readme.txt is located in a diferent directory, that is so it will not be compressed and removed.​

UNRAR PASSWORDED FILES:

ECHO OFF​

cd C:\PATH TO RARS​

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO unRaR e -p123456 *.rar C:\DESTINATION TO EXTRACT​

EXIT​

123456 is the password and it is the same password for *all rars.​

Enjoy
cotufa-ssdd​

::::EDIT::::

Hi guys here is a new addition based on user request:

Create Backups Without overwriting Previous Files

-ag[format]

Add date to name to create unique files and not overwrite previous ones!

Format:

Y – year
M – month
MMM – month name as text string (Jan, Feb, etc.)
W – a week number (a week starts with Monday)
A – day of week number (Monday is 1, Sunday – 7)
D – day of month
E – day of year
H – hours
M – minutes (treated as minutes if encountered after hours)
S – seconds
N – archive number. RAR searches for already existing archive
with generated name and if found, increments the archive
number until generating a unique name. ‘N’ format character
is not supported when creating volumes.

Examples:

1) use the default YYYYMMDDHHMMSS format

DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -ep1 -r-ag backup

2) use DD-MMM-YY format

DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -ep1 -r -agDD-MMM-YY backup

3) use YYYYMMDD and the archive number. It allows to generate
unique names even when YYYYMMDD format mask used more than
once in the same day

DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -ep1 -r-agYYYYMMDD-NN backup

Hope it helped!

Enjoy
cotufa-ssdd

Last edited:
64 comments
great...
but when i open bat file it will put all files into one rar file instead of individual rar

on windows server 2008 with winrar 4.11 x64bit

any solution????

Last edited:
you are welcome, please let me know if it does any good...

this is a very simple script that can be modified to do more if you wanted to... you can run rar.exe in cmd to view more options you can add...

bro i want individual rar file but in windows server 2008 it is adding all files in dat folder in to one single rar file any solution ??

i just tested it and it saves in individual files... please check this line:

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.rar" "%%~fd"

%%~nxd.ra r this part must be included, this is basically saying to save each file using there original name .rar

if you use:

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\" "%%~fd"

it will save all files as ¨.rar¨ without a name

if you use:

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\backup.rar" "%%~fd"

it will save all files in one rar called ¨backup.rar¨

hope its clear

note: there should be no space in ¨.rar¨ for some reason WJ is leaving a space making it ¨.ra r¨

there are so many options for using batch files in windows, you can do virtually anything you want... people underestimate the use of batch files...

---------- Post added 19th May 2012 at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was 18th May 2012 at 11:36 PM ----------

In regards to your PM new-comer....

@ECHO OFF

SET PATH=C:;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinRAR;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Win dows\System32\Wbem;%PATH%

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df -x*.rar "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.rar" "%%~fd"

move /-y "C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress\*.rar" "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\"

EXIT

use this:

where -x*.rar means ¨exclude all .rar files¨. You can add more files to exclude for example add another -x*.zip

Since you excluded all rar files, they will stay in the original directory, thats what the next code does, move, this is simply moving all .rar files to the same directory where the compressions are being made.

Hope that helped...

Thanks bro...

You're really awesome.. it works to split 100 mb volumes..

now can i have this feature :

add spam files.. into rar like mustread.txt.

It will add particular file into all rar files..

Thanks in advance :)

bro i mean to say

suppose i ve one folder and it has five files to be rar

now in every rar file i want add one txt file from another folder....

This is what you can do:

@ECHO OFF

for /D %%f in ("C:\directory_with_files_you_want_to_compress\*") do copy "C:\directory_with_readme.txt\readme.txt" "%%f\"

SET PATH=C:;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinRAR;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Win dows\System32\Wbem;%PATH%

FOR /f "delims=" %%d IN ('DIR /B') DO WinRAR a -m0 -ep -df -v100m -x*.rar "C:\where_you_want_to_save_new_rar_files\%%~nxd.rar" "%%~fd"

EXIT

This new line will add the readme.txt to all original folders before compression. It then moves on to compress each folder to the specifications discussed earlier.

Notice that the readme.txt is located in a diferent directory, that is so it will not be compressed and removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back