Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick

So, I imagine there is variation among all the hosts out there, but this is big picture.

Filehosts/Cyberlockers allow the user to (from their filemanager) rename and browse their files from one webinterface, even though the files (can be/are) on different servers.

Roughly how much data is stored on a particular server? Seems (to me) like there would have to be an optimal range of some sort based on the fact that the host benefits from having a lot of storage per server; but the more data on a server the easier it would be for a surge of traffic to cripple the host, no?

When files are uploaded and show up in the filemanager, is that the PHP script generating a list of files belonging to the user? Or does uploading the file involve adding the file to a MySQL (or whatever) database from which the filemanager is giving the user access?

I know the filemanagers (and remote uploading pages, and a lot of other stuff) is written in PHP for MegaShares, FileJungle/FileServe, and Netload. That said, the ultimate filemanager experience (for me) came from MegaUpload (the lack of folders was stupid, but I'm just talking about dealing with multiple files, sorting, etc.) which used Flash.

How (I'm not looking for detailed code, just broad strokes) do the hosts have the links (without filenames) involve all those random letters and numbers? How do they make distinction between premium and direct links and non-premium/etc. links?

Could this remote browsing and all that be done in Python? What would the disadvantage of that be?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share! For the most part I'm just trying to understand what is going on with these service, and what could be going on with them (I'm a starving college student, not gonna be starting up a filehosting service).

That said, I have recently got the tools to start learning Python (I'm too busy 99% of the time to be doing much extra learning, but during the breaks and summer I'll have more time and I'm enjoying playing around with it at the moment). I've been using some python scripts to seriously ease up the time I spend renaming files and whatnot, but would like to be able to do it through a site (in a sort of Rapidleech/Filehost almost) kind of way. Seems possible someone (maybe some day me) could also develop an uploading tool in Python (I know there's a downloading one out there).

2 comments
You sound like an FBI agent trying to crack Kim.com by getting us to give you the answer!... hahahah! Only joking! (although the FBI would try anything to get him!). Interesting thought! ;)

...I'm sure the FBI knows how this all is done...no?

I mean, the XServerPro/whatever script that 99% of these 2 day hosts are using is available for cheap...nothing I'm asking about should be at all secret or be anything that would help convict Kim...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back