Hosting for own pic host, what needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fring

Hi,

i'm trying to make my own picsite, which i only want to use for myself and link it on my website. Could be like 2000-3000 hits. What kinda server would i need. Vps enough?

8 comments
Discover how many data is transfered per one hit.
If you load 100kb image. 10 hits would cost you roughly 1 MB data transfer. 10 000 hits would be 1GB. You really would be OK with some very basic hosting provider who offers enough disk space for storing your pics and a few GB of data transfer monthly

You may want to just go for a VPS. I have heard of some shared hosting companies with limitations on images. VPS will give you a lot more control.

Think that shared hosting account would be good enough. You can contact downtownhost.com team, they will find the best fit for your needs and at a good price.
They have top-notch customer service, responding to trouble tickets immediately and consistently.

You don't need a server, you need an Object Storage service, it's much cheaper with less headaches ... No server manipulation, No Hardware failure and No "bad" Support.

OVH Object storage
It's at $0.011 /month/GB of storage and $0.011/GB Outgoing traffic. Let's say you store 20 GB of pics and get about 3000 hits daily, assuming that each pic is 2mb, you'll need 5GB of bandwidth daily. The math :

$0.011 * 20GB (storage) + $0.011 * 6GB * 30 = $2.2

You can also checkout Backblaze : http://backblaze.com/b2/ you get 10GB of storage for free (with 2500 operation daily, meaning, you could store your site's pictures, for free !) and pay as you go, it's cheaper than OVH, only $0.005/GB but it limits the number of operations.

AWS is great but it costs too much IMO.

If you don't want Object Storage and need a VPS, get an SSD with good I/O and 1Gbits WITHOUT limitations (read the TOS !! sometimes, you have 1TB bandwidth but only the first 50GB or 100GB will not be caped, the rest of the month, all the bandwidth WILL be capped).

If you don't need an IP address and can work with a NAT, just get one but pick wisely.

Let me know if you need any help.

Sky Host Pk

We offer best Web Hosting in Pakistan. Unlimited Web hosting is available at Sky Host. Unlimited dedicated web hosting server plans for business and personal use.

You don't need a server, you need an Object Storage service, it's much cheaper with less headaches ... No server manipulation, No Hardware failure and No "bad" Support.

OVH Object storage
It's at $0.011 /month/GB of storage and $0.011/GB Outgoing traffic. Let's say you store 20 GB of pics and get about 3000 hits daily, assuming that each pic is 2mb, you'll need 5GB of bandwidth daily. The math :

$0.011 * 20GB (storage) + $0.011 * 6GB * 30 = $2.2

You can also checkout Backblaze : http://backblaze.com/b2/ you get 10GB of storage for free (with 2500 operation daily, meaning, you could store your site's pictures, for free !) and pay as you go, it's cheaper than OVH, only $0.005/GB but it limits the number of operations.

AWS is great but it costs too much IMO.

If you don't want Object Storage and need a VPS, get an SSD with good I/O and 1Gbits WITHOUT limitations (read the TOS !! sometimes, you have 1TB bandwidth but only the first 50GB or 100GB will not be caped, the rest of the month, all the bandwidth WILL be capped).

If you don't need an IP address and can work with a NAT, just get one but pick wisely.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thinking about getting this one: https://www.ovh.nl/vps/vps-ssd.xml
Number 1 will be enough?

Thx for the reply!

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]2000-3000 hits per month, day, hour?

Even an image gallery type site with that many hits a day could be on a shared hosting plan, especially if it is being restricted to a specific audience.

Of course, you will have more control over the content delivery with a VPS or dedicated server but will do doubt cost more.

Good luck
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back