Status
Not open for further replies.

joshmoore

hey all, I just want to know how much this happens in the industry and if anyone else has had such bad experiences with hosts as I have.

So here is the story, I found a host that was advertising on this forum and they seemed pretty good. I won't say the name because I don't know if I am allowed too but I would love to name and shame at this point. So 4 - 5 months goes by an it has been pretty good, except one this. I asked for an upgrade an it just never happened.

So about two weeks ago I tried to visit the one website hosted on this server an it was down, Kloxo was down an everything. I check to see if I had outstanding bills... nothing. So I submitted a ticket saying it was down. They replied saying they are updating IPs an they will be down for a short time. Well it would have been nice if you told me... so two weeks has gone an still no communication, no website but oh they have time to bill me for the month.

Anyone else get this kinda shit?

14 comments
By not giving their name public you allow other people to make the same mistake you did + on other webmaster forums companies and services get checked on legitimacy and quality by moderators before been allowed to advertise. So if you do wish to search for a webhost here, do a proper background check before wasting your money.

Hey man share the name of the hosting is a good way to help others, most of people don´t do that and then situations like yours happens more often (sadly).

Thats why i always speak clear when i have to say something about a webhosting, they perhaps not love it, but if they offer shit people should know it.

It´s hard find a good offshore company for shared hosting ...

You are allowed to tell the name and besides upgrading an IP?
They must be kinda retarded never heard such thing, maybe changing IP.
Also most of the host's here could be bad and some not.
The best way to deal with this is by letting it go and buy some hosting from hostgator.com

1. All hosts go down.
2. All hosts don't tell you whrn changes are made normally as they don't expect them to effect active customers.
3. 99% of hosts on here and most sites like this one buy from other hosts and do not have their own facilities so they are in the subject to the same host flaws as us.
4. 50% of hosts on here are 2nd or 3rd party resellers and have to wait for their hosts.

So if money is no object go with a host that actually owns a data center.

If you are starting out go with a host that is inexpensive and pay by the month only.
(I even buy 2 inexpensive hosts)
Make daily backups and be ready to move to another site at any moment. A few hours down won't kill any site that is a low budget site.

1. All hosts go down.
2. All hosts don't tell you whrn changes are made normally as they don't expect them to effect active customers.
3. 99% of hosts on here and most sites like this one buy from other hosts and do not have their own facilities so they are in the subject to the same host flaws as us.
4. 50% of hosts on here are 2nd or 3rd party resellers and have to wait for their hosts.

So if money is no object go with a host that actually owns a data center.

If you are starting out go with a host that is inexpensive and pay by the month only.
(I even buy 2 inexpensive hosts)
Make daily backups and be ready to move to another site at any moment. A few hours down won't kill any site that is a low budget site.

Im not trying to cause a fight of any kind, but most big host's do not own their own datacenter either.

For example lets say the large known ones 2 real hosts and 1 from here. HostGator and Bluehost own nodes full of server, but not a "datacenter". For a host here knownsrv which was what everyone named "the best" has now sold out to a random company here which means they do not own a datacenter either.

The point i want to make is you cannot relate the flaws to other host's when that does not disprove why a host is good or bad. It solely depends on who runs the company in the backend. You can easily point out who has not taken the time to inspect their host or who does not have any knowledge at all.

Just take a look at reviews and how many issues they have and thats what should give you a better idea of whos good or not. Also a good idea is to always make sure the host is not a reseller and if it is cut out the middle man.

No disrespect to anyone, but this should be obvious to anybody looking for hosting.

Looking at reviews is helpful but not the most important to me as having been on here for 2 years I have seen many good reviews and the host then sells it so all the people who bought it pay the price.

Bluehost & hostgator have many problems of their own and is why if I had a must be able to reach the host and get it up it would be more on the lines of softlayer or leaseweb.

But as I said better to stay backed up and pay minimal with good reports (buying to different hosts) than investing in a long term large price well rated host like bluehost and hostgator.

Just my opinion and my operating procedure.

Looking at reviews is helpful but not the most important to me as having been on here for 2 years I have seen many good reviews and the host then sells it so all the people who bought it pay the price.

Bluehost & hostgator have many problems of their own and is why if I had a must be able to reach the host and get it up it would be more on the lines of softlayer or leaseweb.

But as I said better to stay backed up and pay minimal with good reports (buying to different hosts) than investing in a long term large price well rated host like bluehost and hostgator.

Just my opinion and my operating procedure.

Very true i cannot argue with this.

BUT not all users can afford a datacenter dedicated server as the cost is more then just the server, but all the extras needed for that server.

I wish i knew how to say this without causing a wildfire of hosts talking bad about my comment, But users need to know if a host cannot clear up or atleast give a real example as to why the server is down within a hour at most its something to really take consideration of.

You do not need to be a large corporation to set security tools in place to email you when a certain situation is about to arise. Its common practice for system admins to set these kinds of things in place. If a host is serious about the business they run they will not take a seconds thought to find out whats going on and clear it out. I see many excuses come about by hosts on wjunction which normal users believe, but any other host with a brain can look past that excuse.

This is my last post on this thread as i do not want to start a flame war. Its just really hard to see so many people have to go through the trouble that they do with money they have paid. AND yes 2.50$ counts alot it is not something to turn your shoulder on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back