Status
Not open for further replies.

jarlaxe

My hosting provider keeps shutting down my VPS and telling me I have high serverload.

I have no idea how this is happening though. I run the same number of torrents through torrentflux as I did a few months back (on a less powerful VPS) and I never had problems back then.

Since I upgraded to this VPS with 2GB's RAM, 4000MHZ and 250GB disc space I have had my VPS shut down twice.

I never run more than 5 or so torrents on TFlux and my serverload usually hovers at about 1 (sometimes spiking to 3 for hash checking etc).

Anyone know why this is happening. The only other things on the server are a website and sBorg (which was not running on both occasions when the hosting went down).

Thanks,

8 comments
If you have root access you can have a look at the processed by running 'top'. This will tell you more. I suggest getting a kimsufi seedbox though ;)

I'll take a look at them. But the reason i have not already moved is because I got this VPS plan on a recurring discount.

I pay $40 a month and that comes with a cPanel license.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

Update:

I got a reply to my support ticket.

"Your VPS is affecting the node in general, this is likely disk, not disk usage but disk activity, can you disable any checks or such the torrent system does with the torrents?"

"Currently python under 'thewarez' is causing load issues."

Is there anything I can do to reduce disc activity. I figured that maybe turning off hash checking would do it but I would rather not do that.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Im guessing this is b4rt install, if so goto superadmin, and check in there i suspect you got a jammed up torrent.

And $40 a mth is a shit load for just 250GB

Cheers
RR

Im guessing this is b4rt install, if so goto superadmin, and check in there i suspect you got a jammed up torrent.

Cheers
RR

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. However, this issue has happened more than once, and
this time around I had completely new torrents running (only 4 in fact).

I agree that $40 is quite a bit. However, I originally joined on a lower plan for a good price. I couldn't be bothered transferring everything or starting again and installing everything anew at a different host so I just upgraded my plan (which is not so good value).

The plan also comes with cPanel which prefer over Plesk.

how u have traffic ?
which platform?

I'm not sure what you mean...

I'm using Centos though as my OS.

Cheers
RR

It's a reasonable price if it's on a 1gbps line - it's a crapload if it's on a 100mb line.

If you've got Cpanel it has to be CentOS.

As for hdd activity - run "iotop -o -d2" to see what's causing the hdd activity.
If you don't have it installed, just do "yum install iotop".

Having a serverload hover at 1 is actually quite bad. That means that you're at 100% capacity ALL the time and your CPU is constantly working.

This is never healthy, and as soon as you add more processes, your VPS starts working on a backlog.

5 torrents should not be causing such a high load unless they're all really large, which cannot be the case here since you've only got 250gb hdd. Also 2gb RAM should be enough to sustain 5 torrents.

htop and iotop are the answers to your questions.

Or maybe the node is just oversold; that would explain why a more powerful VPS is impacting the node when a less powerful VPS would run just fine. The number of VPSs on the same node can largely impact the amount of strain the node can endure from one single VPS before it starts giving away.

My suggestion is you migrate to a low end dedicated server; for the price you're paying, you can easily get a low end dedicated box that would still be more powerful than the current VPS you have (in terms of CPU).

EDIT: Yeah the low end dedi may not have cPanel included, but you don't really need cPanel if all you've got on the server is torrentflux, sborg, and a website. You could do that with a free panel too.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I looked into it and it's the torrents. They are just too disc intensive.

I think I may move to a new server. A dedicated server. It's time I looked for a better deal anyway.

Thanks again all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back