Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Happy

All the news from Google I/O will be posted here and you can discuss what you like. This will prevent about 30 different copy paste threads.

Some of the stuff mentioned so far:

Google+ has 250 million signed up members and more impressively 150 million ACTIVE members. Everyone says G+ is a ghost town but Google is saying most people use G+ on a mobile device which is why the likes of Comscore say it's quiet. To be fair they do have a great mobile App espically when you compare it with Facebooks. That's just so slow and buggy.
They now have a dedicated Tablet app for Android and an iOS one coming soon. The Google Drive iOS app has being coming soon for almost three months though so who knows when soon is.
They added an events thing in G+ where you invite people like in Facebook but it's done better as everyone who goes to the event has photos grouped in the same place so everyone shares their photos. That's an idea I like ....but will probably never use.

Google Play now has 20 billion apps downloaded and loads more impressive figures. Personally I don't think these numbers matter much anymore. Both Apple and Google have loads of great apps and there isn't much of a difference. Ya I know differences exist but that's nit picking. It's only when you visit Microsoft and Blackberry app stores that you notice stuff missing and even Microsoft have loads of the important ones now.

Google Glasses are now available for sale for $1500 for the Explorer edition on pre order due to arrive early next year. At the moment only people at I/O can pre order them. Still it's cool to see these are coming and not just an idea that never happens.

The Nexux Table is officially launched but pretty much everyone knew that was coming. There's a thread already on WJ about that.

Feel free to mention other updates as they go on. I didn't mention Android as they are going through that live now.

NO COPY PASTE BULLSHIT HERE! That means you ShareShiz!

So what are you most impressed about? For me I'd love to see some real people get their hands on a pair of those Google Glasses and test them out properly. Right now it's just Google Employees so it's very biased and no fair reviews are out.

Last edited:
9 comments
I love how Google grabs their mobile alias "Nexus" and slaps it on Asus.

That Nexus will be cool just because of it's price. It's no iPad killer as that's a high end product and it's more of a Microsoft Surface Tablet vs iPad fight from the $500 price up. I think the Nexus is more of a competition to the Kindle, Nook and other low priced tablets.
Whatever they want to call the tablet I think it's a decent product for the price.

Hmm Jelly bean is going to be out also i guess by Mid-July
sdk now available

Nexus 7
08yxl.jpg

ZfpUb.jpg

So Google released some new iOS Apps today as well as other news and announcements.

Google Chrome is now in the iTunes App Store and it's awesome. I've used it for the last 12 hours or so and can easily see it replacing my default Safari. It syncs your bookmarks, can view pages on your other devices, has excellent navigation and tab management and incognito mode too. The only problems are Apple, unlike Android, don't let you change the default browser app so if you click a link in an email or 3rd party app it will always open in Safari. Google Chrome is also forced to use Apples slower javascript engine instead of it's own faster one (this is for security Apple claims) but this means Chrome will never be as fast as it could be.

Google Drive is now available on iOS. It's available on Android since April and the iOS version was said to be 98% complete at that point. That last 2% took ages but it's finally arrived. It's not great though. I use Dropbox a lot and was half expecting for this app to help me convert to Google Drive but it lacks quiet a few important features. For starters you can't delete files or create new ones. I find this really annoying although it has better sharing permissions than Dropbox does on it's native app. Editing documents also requires you to open them in the browser. It's search is very good though and something that's better than on Dropbox.

Google also announced Compute Engine that allows you to use Google's massive infrastructure. Amazon does something similar in AWS. You can basically rent computers and storage as if your a new company setting up a large reliable infrastructure is time consuming and incredibly expensive. We're on about someone looking for more than 100 cores so not some small warez site. This is what companies like Dropbox and Foursquare use. Google are offering prices which are "half it's competitors" (that means Amazon). While this doesn't affect people like us it probably means that the competition between Google and Amazon will provide faster more reliable websites and even cheaper app's and in app purchases as companies can save money.

They also had some good news about Chrome saying how it's now the worlds number one browser (as it passed IE) and talked about the future of HTML5 apps. It looked interesting. Google Docs is also available offline which is about two years later than it should have arrived. The Google spreadsheets and excel aren't still available offline though. All this chrome talk was to ignite interest in it's Chromebooks but I still don't think they are great outside of the classroom or library for now anyway.

All good news but I'm a little disappointed in the Google Drive iOS App.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back