Status
Not open for further replies.

sadtune

Hi

I wonder if there is any research or graphs about the future of PHP

I've been disconnected for almost 6 years from PHP platforms and recently cameback
after I installed LimeSurvey I got amazed about how the platform progressed
then I did a compare about available engines and got another shock
a very advance engines (minimalistic code required ) are available

put I noticed one problem
(No Standardization for all those efforts)
The last hacking waves over big commercial PHP sites for big companies
everyday we witnessed a new mysql dump
is it there fault for trusting php

everybody claiming to be the best

in contrast to M$ ASP .Net

please share your opinions

6 comments
The problem isn't PHP, the problem is their code in particular.
Don't blame the language, blame the developer.

PHP will continue to be released as normal, eventually into PHP6 and beyond.

You don't need research or "graphs", its just a language... it will continue being developed like any other modern/current language.

from career perspective it is a different story

you need to choose your profession path

and a wise decision would be a high demanded job to get more money in your pocket

PHP is like the C/C++ of webdev. In the right hands it's possible to write secure, maintainable and efficient code, in the wrong hands however it's very easy to write sloppy junk code riddled with exploits just waiting to be abused (how many times you heard about SQL injections and buffer overflows?). It'd be nice if the language was designed with security in mind.

If you're an amateur you're probably better off always using a framework like CakePHP with PHP, or... even better, don't use PHP at all and instead work faster with the Ruby language and the Rails framework. Or you can learn to use both and pick the most appropriate one depending on the project (social site with users and content? use ROR, small interactive script? use PHP).

People write insecure code in any language. It's not that language's fault that developers trust user input and don't do necessary checks. I want the language to remain bare bones. Any extra processing over a developer's code is unnecessary and slows down the process, when that effort can be put toward other things.

PHP is progressing well. I hope, one day, they'll finally make up their mind on function names. do_this() is ok, and so is doThis(), but not at the same time. Consistency is a big thing especially when you're memorising hundreds of functions. I would prefer all functions to be camel cased so that in large projects, functions in different languages will appear differently(in my mind) in our memories.

I hope for more accessible system functions, too. PHP is a scripting language, but all too often, you need access to moar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back