FireFox to add Automatic Update like Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Happy

Google Chrome releases a new version every 6 weeks and earlier this year FireFox reacted by increasing it's release schedule to try and keep pace with Google Chromes rapid development.

Google Chrome has automatic or silent update. It automatically updates to the newer version so you don't notice that a new version is released so often. The current is 14 and Dev version I'm using is 16 which is way higher than the 7 FireFox is at even though it's half it's age. This is similar to the way Windows, anti virus programs etc update automatically.
FireFox doesn't automatically update so when a new version is released it's a big problem. Most FireFox users don't bother to update unlike Chrome where pretty much everyone updates. FireFox tried to introduce silent updates in Verison 4 but their were issues and it was removed. The next thing FireFox tried to to was remove the whole version number. This would hopefully make people stop thinking about versions and update more often. Their were huge problems with this as you'd never know what extensions work with your version as FireFox extensions unlike Chrome ones break with every update.

So yesterday FireFox published a blog post that they are going to copy Chrome (again) and intorduce automatic or silent update in version 10. Now I know your thinking WTF verions 10? But they are coming out way faster so that's not too far away.

Personally I can't wait. Loads of people are using FF 3.6 which is terrible at supporting even the most basic HTML5. It will be really good for webmasters and developers as less visitors will be using outdated versions of browsers. Even the latest versions of IE are far better at supporting HTML5 and CSS3 than FF 3.6.

So ya finally some good news from FireFox.

11 comments
Wow, what a revolutionary change they made by removing the http.

As I said it's one example of hundreds you idiot.

adcdP.png

You say you will be pleased as cos of the people using ff3.6 etc.. but the auto update will obviously only happen from ff10 onwards.. people on 3.6 who refuse to update will stay on 3.6... and othe lower versions before this is implemented.

Well, take some other things into account, you dumbfuck. None of these changes significantly improve performance. And you're here saying Firefox copied Chrome in terms of such a small, yet useful, function. I'm a Chrome user, and pro-chrome, but holy fuck, you fanboys just directly correlate Firefox copying Chrome all the time.

Chrome has definitely got the upper hand now though. I've been using it for nearly three years, never looked back. Currently got the Aurora channel running for FF, it's getting better... But I still can't warm to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back