Finding good RELIABLE offshore hosting - A good read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pea

Hi,

As most of you guy's here are looking for the most stable offshore host, I thought this thread would help you guy's out slightly. I'm sure there's already been a thread like this before, but recently people don't seem to get the message, hence I thought I'd make you aware of certain things.

Raising awareness on points I feel which need to be. Feel free to add your own.

Bandwidth - When an host offers Unlimited/500GB+ per shared hosting account, this is excessive. I'm quite certain this is being oversold. I wouldn't suggest going with high bandwidth offers as higher CPU usage/bandwidth consumption sites tend to use these hosts. So most likely for an small site like yours, i presume this would cause downtime.

Server - Ask the host, what they're using. If it's an Reseller/VPS/Server, you know it's more likely to be stable if they're running off an server.

Support - Test out the companies support, for example you could send an message to the sales department, maybe asking if they allow nulled scripts, check how long it takes them to get back to you.

Semi-Dedicated cons - This may cause a spark to some, but in my honest opinion most semi-dedicated hosts on WJ aren't semi dedicated. I tend to see many semi dedicated hosts overselling their servers. How do I know this?

http://whois.domaintools.com - Enter the server IP or someone who's hosted on it URL, check how many other people are hosted on this one server. Something exceeding 20 is definitely not semi dedicated hosting. This is what i think, you may have an different opinion.

Established
- It's always better to pay more and go for an established host, this is due to hosting having freedom on barriers to entry and no sunk costs, it allows any joe bloggs to setup an hosting company, no matter of what skill they have.

Reputable Members - I'm not naming anyone, but i do notice at times, reputable members are able to convince members into their hosting company, because of an badge. I'm in no way jealous or have a grudge against these people, infact most of them deserve the badge, but because they have a badge, doesn't automatically tell you they're a reliable person/company to deal with.

Reviews - Reviews are essential. Check if the company has a fair amount of positive reviews, after all this is an webmasters forum, people will most likely want the best for their own project, hence they'll most likely tell the truth whether an companies good or bad.

Google Search - Generally, when I normally search for an offshore host I do a quick Google search on the company and the Username. I may find some background information which will help me decide whether i choose the host or not.

This is what I THINK about before purchasing from an OFFSHORE hosting company.

Note: Everyone has their own opinions, please don't slag me off here.

Feel free to add your own views, this is quite an important topic here and i'd like there to be some awareness.

Regards,
Pea

24 comments
my pov after wasting money , time and effort for hosting from jw:
go to webhostingtalk and find those big boys company offshore if you want a stable host.
you want someone who dedicated, full time job as hosting to work for you, you dont want people who take hosting as their part time or dare i say "hobby"to host your site.
contact the provider and tell them what kind of website u are running (warez, adult, hacking, nulled script, w.e), by contacting them you have an idea of how fast their customer service is. i tried to submit severals ticket in different time, one in the morning like 10am and one like 2am to see how promptly they response, if they take half a day to answer my ticket then i would move on lol. i used wrzhost and webden if u care to know. longest time i got response from them was...well, couple days. you can see how pro they handle their business.

I already wrote something like this 2 months ago, and what happened? Everyone forgot about it, just like everyone will forget about this in few weeks ... It's good that you actually spent your time to write it, but things like this can't be changed. New webmasters will always buy the most cheapest hosting they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back