Favorite SSH Editor

Favorite SSH Editor

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think it's an inconvenience, you just don't know how to use it, to put it bluntly.

I know almost every keyboard shortcut in vim by memory, there are still a couple I fail to remember after 4 years or so of using it.

An example benefit:
I can delete a couple of lines, type something else in, copy that, paste it into another file then replace occurences of a variable i copied from that file with another variable in my code... all without ever touching my mouse or changing window, in a few keystrokes.

nano is for people who can't vim.

I know how to use it; I just have to google for the commands as I'm not an everyday user. I've used many times where nano wasn't available and I didn't have root. (IRC Server)

After googleing:

• multiple file editing
  • search and replace with regular expressions
  • exactly define where to search and replace (e.g. only between line 3 and 8)
  • flexible navigation through file

Those some of the features in vi?

Then, I guess it would be ok, but I'm a linux expert and I still prefer nano.

Generally those who call themselves linux experts use emacs or vi (hence the huge vi vs emacs editor war known throughout the tech world).

Sure nano is easy, its simple, but vim can do everything nano does and more. Nano wasn't made for hardcore-coders and linux junkies, those people, such as myself, use vi or emacs stereotypically.

It has so many features I can't list them all.

If you think it's an inconvenience, you just don't know how to use it, to put it bluntly.

I know almost every keyboard shortcut in vim by memory, there are still a couple I fail to remember after 4 years or so of using it.

An example benefit:
I can delete a couple of lines, type something else in, copy that, paste it into another file then replace occurences of a variable i copied from that file with another variable in my code... all without ever touching my mouse or changing window, in a few keystrokes.

nano is for people who can't vim.

Generally those who call themselves linux experts use emacs or vi (hence the huge vi vs emacs editor war known throughout the tech world).

Sure nano is easy, its simple, but vim can do everything nano does and more. Nano wasn't made for hardcore-coders and linux junkies, those people, such as myself, use vi or emacs stereotypically.

It has so many features I can't list them all.

Generally, yes - people who call themselves linux experts use vi, but keep in mind "today's world" people want simple and easy to use; Hence...nano - I know a lot "Linux Experts" who rather use nano over vi and they started with vi.

Using nano doesn't stereotype me as being a n00b or non-linux expert.

The point is whether the preference is, both them can do the same job.

nano:
I can search and replace.
I can goto a certain line.
I can use arrows and not some letter to move through.
I can exit easy (ctrl+c) vs ESC :q! (only command I remember, really.)
I can copy and paste, I attempted apparently didn't work.
I can save easy (ctrl+w) y

I think it's down purely to preference only. For example, I originally used only vi for a long time, maybe 2-3 years. Then I worked with someone who was a pico/nano freak, loved it for whatever reasons, so I used that whilst I worked with him. Ever since I've leaned both ways (lol).

However it's important that people learn some vim commands because it's really the "native" editor that you may one day be forced to use... If you don't know how, you're up shit creek I guess.

I think it's down purely to preference only. For example, I originally used only vi for a long time, maybe 2-3 years. Then I worked with someone who was a pico/nano freak, loved it for whatever reasons, so I used that whilst I worked with him. Ever since I've leaned both ways (lol).

However it's important that people learn some vim commands because it's really the "native" editor that you may one day be forced to use... If you don't know how, you're up shit creek I guess.
Lol eLight, surely when the world turns over, we'd have to rely on native editors. :D

I don't think it's that inconceivable? I mean really, it wouldn't hurt to know how to use it given how widespread it is. A question for all the nano-lovers: How do you edit crontab? Do you have nano set as the default editor, or use vi? Or?

P.S. To use nano with crontab where vi is the default editor or otherwise this works in most cases:
Code:
EDITOR=nano && export EDITOR && crontab -e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back