Dropbox Users Emails Hacked - Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Happy

About 2-3 weeks ago Dropbox users started complaining that their emails they only use for dropbox started receiving spam. As the people only used it for Dropbox and had never shared a document, sent a referral link or shared the email address it was obvious Dropbox or an app that uses Dropbox was the cause of the problem. Dropbox didn't know what the problem was and couldn't find any breech in it's security so it hired outside help to find out what happened. As the days went by I was under the impression they were trying to ignore the problem and hoped it went away as the forum where I am fairly active was quiet with no updates or official statements.

They have now just announced on a blog post that an employee had their password hacked and the hacker gained access to a document which contained email addresses. As a result of this Dropbox plan to introduce two step verification (like what Google has) and introduce other security measures.

Personally I'm pretty disappointed in all this as I'm a heavy Dropbox user and have used it for quiet a while. I was really hoping the cause of the leak was a third party app as only a few members are affected. I think I'll only be using it for photos and videos from now on as I don't think I can trust it for more confidential or work related stuff for which I'll use Google Drive.

12 comments
I never used it too much, just for passing round PSD's mainly and some other small files, but this is a pretty big let down still as it will effect a lot of people. Still, Dropbox is a very unique program/script and I am sure there popularity will still increase and won't be effected too much by this. My files:

NC1s

Still, Dropbox is a very unique program/script and I am sure there popularity will still increase and won't be effected too much by this.
Well Google Drive is growing faster (because it's Google and can advertise more) and Misrosoft will integrate SkyDrive far more into the new Windows 8 and Office 2013. iCloud is also getting stronger with this weeks launch of Mountain Lion and iOS 6 coming in September with better iCloud integration so with all the competition this is the last thing Dropbox wants.

This can and I think will affect it's growth as the most important thing about cloud storage, more important than features, is security especially with increased competition.

@ Happy you right with google but Dropbox Space is much more as Google and you can have over 20GB for free on Dropbox there are many ways.

However i have receive no spam to my dropbox Pm.

Have dropbox confirm this or try Google here to start any story to promote the own service better?!

@ Happy you right with google but Dropbox Space is much more as Google and you can have over 20GB for free on Dropbox there are many ways.

However i have receive no spam to my dropbox Pm.

Have dropbox confirm this or try Google here to start any story to promote the own service better?!
Ya I know Dropbox have more space when you build up referrals, do the camera upload etc but security is still more important than free space and yes this is officially confirmed by Dropbox on their blog
http://blog.dropbox.com/index.php/security-update-new-features/

I've just changed my email on Dropbox just incase. ( was an old one anyway )

Signed up for Drive to try that out, i won't even use a 1GB so the free account is perfect for me.

thats a mega blow to dropbox and its users, i imagine there will be alot of people opting out of dropbox now.

Dropbox was the most perfect backup solution i've ever used :'( Sad.

However change your email and you are ok ;)

For me is there no reason to leave becouse i use over 30Gb for free on Dropbox that will i find not on Google cloud service or any other services like that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back