Dropbox Founder Wants To Build the Next Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

The Dropbox file storage and synchronization service has managed to attract 50 million users and $250 million in venture capital. The founder of Dropbox, Drew Houston, says he is determined to build the next Google or Apple, not to sell out to them. Even for a guy whose paper valuation is around $600 million, it seems like the best he could hope for is another Facebook-level company — file storage isn't that sexy. I wish him luck in his bid to remain independent. I'd rather see Dropbox remain fairly agnostic with regard to other Internet services.

http://www.dropbox.com/
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-dropbox-20120115,0,6541893.story?track=icymi

5 comments
Sorry... but who doesn't want to own or develop the next Google or Apple? A $600 million evaluation isn't much in the tech industry and can disappear quickly.

Dropbox were one of the first cloud storage services and I've being using it since 2008 but it's only a matter of time before others eat into their market share.

Take for example Groupon and it's daily deals. They were very popular and grew fast but now loads of other companies do daily deals including some of the big guys like Google and Amazon.
Apple has iCloud which is a similar way of syncing not just files but contacts and photos and Amazon has something similar. If Google Android, Apple and Amazon all include these file storage and sync by default on their products and build on them then companies like Dropbox won't succeed as file storage isn't something you can copyright.

Groupon is in a bit of trouble now. It's still growing but not near as fast and since it's IPO it's stock has fallen. Other companies are becoming stronger and increasing their market share faster as something like daily deals, just like file storage, can't be copyrighted and anyone can compete in the market.

that guy is smart ffs ofc he knows he cant built "new google"
its just a publicity stunt
+respect for smart marketing tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back