Download Accelerator with Rapidleech

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuraHack

Banned
Banned
Ok, I've been thinking again (I know, I should watch out...), and google-ing. I've found this wonderful simple app called Axel which is a small Download Accelerator app coded in C.

Here's the usage info:
Code:
axel --helpUsage: axel [options] url1 [url2] [url...]

--max-speed=x		-s x	Specify maximum speed (bytes per second)
--num-connections=x	-n x	Specify maximum number of connections
--output=f		-o f	Specify local output file
--search[=x]		-S [x]	Search for mirrors and download from x servers
--header=x		-H x	Add header string
--user-agent=x		-U x	Set user agent
--no-proxy		-N	Just don't use any proxy server
--quiet			-q	Leave stdout alone
--verbose		-v	More status information
--alternate		-a	Alternate progress indicator
--help			-h	This information
--version		-V	Version information

Report bugs to submit@bugs.debian.org (using reportbug)

I am aware that the project is still small and maybe missing certain features, but is it possible to mod Rapidleech to execute a axel command?

At this phase I'm just looking at the possibilities, I know the official RL team won't support this because they only want 100% PHP but is anyone interested to try this?

10 comments
Possible, yes. Entirely, however, no. Based on the --help output of axel, it does not support cookie based downloading - and some of the filehosts absolutely require a cookie when downloading files, which is why curl is favored as opposed to these third party programs that have limited support.

You should check out 'Aria2'. It's actively developed, and supports cookies (alongside a ton of other features) and works a treat when it comes to accelerating downloads. It is, however, not as lightweight as axel, but has a pretty light memory and resource footprint. There's also 2 existing scripts out there that implement it somewhat via it's API in PHP, although I've never really gotten round to testing them.

i've done a download accelerator using php curl, i searched the web and didn't find something like that, so i decided to create it. Soon, i'll publish it publicly for free :)

Thank you both for your answers,

Possible, yes. Entirely, however, no. Based on the --help output of axel, it does not support cookie based downloading - and some of the filehosts absolutely require a cookie when downloading files, which is why curl is favored as opposed to these third party programs that have limited support.

You should check out 'Aria2'. It's actively developed, and supports cookies (alongside a ton of other features) and works a treat when it comes to accelerating downloads. It is, however, not as lightweight as axel, but has a pretty light memory and resource footprint. There's also 2 existing scripts out there that implement it somewhat via it's API in PHP, although I've never really gotten round to testing them.
Thanks for the tip, I've heard of it before (but forgot it). Do you mean this project? It uses XML RPC bindings.

i've done a download accelerator using php curl, i searched the web and didn't find something like that, so i decided to create it. Soon, i'll publish it publicly for free :)
Very much appreciated. Be sure to keep us op to date with the pogress!!! (y)

UPDATE: Found a interesting link:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...tiple-connections-and-progress-display-in-php
Another update: If this has been done/made the RL mod is definitively possible.

Last edited:
Yes, the XML-RPC (an API of sorts) binding to be able to use it via PHP or any other language. Problem is, there's not enough documentation on the API/XML-RPC, so use those two scripts (aria2web and php-aria2) to get the needed information.

Interesting. If Aria2 has an API I'm certainly diving in.. will report about it in a few hours.. :)

Edit: If anyone is desperate for a download manager over the web, jDownloader has a web interface too ;)

It should be possible to integrate it with Rapidleech by modding the /classes/http.php file? I'm not very good in PHP so it would be great if someone ware to help me/us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back