Status
Not open for further replies.

kenng

I was thinking to get server for my hosting business. However, Some people said it doesnt really help. Any suggestion? I will provide SSD Shared hosting at this moment. Saw a few reseller with SSD too.

Thanks

10 comments
I think if you can get several SATA3 disks in RAID1 form, it'll be better. I would do that instead of buying a single 120GB SSD. I think two SATA3 disk in RAID1 will have same or similar speed as SSD, maybe faster.

SSD Drives are very fast drives for one reason and thats so it is used to store your files not be used as a non-stop read and write hdd.

These drives are not meant to truly be used to web host as these are considered backup drives so you may pull bigger files at a faster speed. All you will get out of it is corrupted data and issues in the way you want to use it.

SSD's have a huge disadvantage, that is that sectors can only be written a limited times, then they go dead (corrupt). I've known hosts whom have used SSD's for database hosting, which initially sounds smart, as they have super fast read speeds, but if you think about it databases need to be written to continuously (think about session management) so the SSD's lifespan will be shortened significantly.
SSD's are great for fast read speeds, and as little write-ing as possible, so for the system/boot partition (not /home or databases etc.) yes, although, those systems don't need to be rebooted/read constantly so I doubt if it will significantly improve anything.
I'd definately go with SATA drives in a RAID1 (or RAID10 if your crazy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back