Disastrous Year 2012 for My Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnival_07

Banned
Banned
I have a small site with around 8K to 10K visitors per day. Daily page view is around 40K to 50K. I started the site back in April 2011. I didn't promote it and all traffic were organic. Everything seems progressing nicely until early this year, then disaster strike one after another:

1) Jan 2012. We had Megaupload fiasco and most of the popular filehosts folded. That was the first hit. I re-uploaded all the files and moved on.

2) March 2012. 1st KnownSRV DDoSed. Site was down for many days and eventually Known was sold and site moved to Severius.

3) April 2012. 2nd KnownSRV DDoSed. Site was down for even more days and eventually moved to LeaseWeb together with Known.

4) April 2012. 3rd KnownSRV DDoSed. Site was down again. I took the first opportunity when site was accessible to move to XSLtel.

5) 05 May 2012. Site down. XSLtel reported DDoS on the node. Later HDD failure was claimed. And I lost all data.

Now I have to look for a new server to restored my database. Unfortunately, I have only backup till 01 May 2012. Not so bad. I need to find a way to restore them via kloxo but I don't know how. So another learning curve ahead....

13 comments
These kind of things happen to every site. At least you have a back up of 1st May. Some people have a back up of 1-2 months old. It's even worst for them :p

Damned. I was wondering if I was the only one facing this string of disasters. I thought XSLtel was rock stable as reviewed here. I was with them for only 2 weeks and was fucked big time.

it seams like more and more hosts are under atack..this cannot be a coincidence, i'm sorry for your loss, isnt the 5 days missing data, is the downtimes that is borhering you i guess, unfortunate everything that goes beyond softacoulous blur me, so i cannot give you advice on how to restore your database, but i wanna wish you good luck in finding a good company that would keep your site up and runing

It was the downtime that is pissing me. 5 days of loss data isn't that big an issue, even though it is amounting to 100 posts. Restoring from the backup and re-posting the lost 5 days is the priority now.

Good thinking for backing up within 5 days. You should invest in your own VPS. Xsltel never had any problems on my part since that DDoS, even with the small shared hosting i had!

I usually took daily backup but I was freaking busy during the last few days. Now I am regretting big time. By the way which node are you on with XSLtel? I was on NLND08.

People never learn, okay let me repeat what I'm saying since December 2009: don't buy hosting from any member on wJunction, except RDP, you should go to webhostingtalk.com instead and look for companies with good reviews. All people who I met 'here' who bought hosting from 'here' experienced issues, without exception.

Whatever aishamontreal said is true. The main reason why all the hosts go down here, is that the level of maturity is still low. The kiddie hosts don't get much sales as the big guys over here, so they have no choice rather than DDoS the big players, as they themselves do not have the potential/brains to grow.
This is the case with most of the hosts here.

The good ones (the big guys) suffer from this and eventually lose their clients. These clients then move on to the kiddie hosts and the big guys then go down and die. This is the time when the kiddie hosts grows and they face the same problem.

This cycle will go on and never stops. The only people suffering from this mess are the clients.

Now there are only two possible ways to overcome this.
1. One particular client should find 3-4 other people alike and buy a dedicated server and share it with themselves.
2. The clients should move on to some good hosts from WebHostingTalk.com but they'll face a hard time finding the perfect host that'd allow non-legit sites to be hosted.

Whatever aishamontreal said is true. The main reason why all the hosts go down here, is that the level of maturity is still low. The kiddie hosts don't get much sales as the big guys over here, so they have no choice rather than DDoS the big players, as they themselves do not have the potential/brains to grow.
This is the case with most of the hosts here.

The good ones (the big guys) suffer from this and eventually lose their clients. These clients then move on to the kiddie hosts and the big guys then go down and die. This is the time when the kiddie hosts grows and they face the same problem.

This cycle will go on and never stops. The only people suffering from this mess are the clients.

Now there are only two possible ways to overcome this.
1. One particular client should find 3-4 other people alike and buy a dedicated server and share it with themselves.
2. The clients should move on to some good hosts from WebHostingTalk.com but they'll face a hard time finding the perfect host that'd allow non-legit sites to be hosted.

Exactly man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back