Dedicated Server for Video Encoding

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 comments
i7 CPUs

i7's are indeed good processors, but unless you are encoding video or similar, please do look for a xeon instead.

An i7 is not a server-grade CPU, it is not built to the same reliable standard that a xeon is. A xeon will always be better for a server unless you're encoding media (i7's sometimes perform better due to hyperthreading, but the new xeons also have HT).

The new xeons are sometimes labelled as i7's so don't just go avoiding them all together, actually check the model if you care. Obviously not everyone cares what the CPU is, i just mean if you do.

Source :- http://www.wjunction.com/10-hosting-discussion/146195-general-hosting-tips.html

Please read that fully.
then you can know which server you need to order..

The latest E3-v2 cpu's have almost equal pass mark to i7 ivy bridge and sometimes better depending upon the specific model.But besides cpu you should also try to have atleast one ssd this will definetly give a big performance boost to you.

@younav better suggestion for you if u have low budget and need high performance , better buy 24 core or 16 core RDP from any wj seller . you will not disappoint ;)

Hello Yourarnav,

Did you have a specific budget in place for your server? Also, how much bandwidth and on what port speed did you need the server. This would be a good reference point for host looking to provide you quality service. Lastly, what location would be ideal for you?

Intel Core i7-3820 (4 cores x HT x 3.6GHz) may work for your needs as well. Great power and affordable. Then again everything depends on the budget you have for your server. If you are looking for cheap and versatile you may be in the wrong ball park. Most on Wjunction want unmanaged cause its cheaper, but may be lacking on service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back