.ca / .eu domain names for download sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolaps

Hey!

We can see that some kind of US censorship is falling down on all US-based domain names (.org, com, net, org, info, us, co, etc).

What do you think of a .ca or .eu TLD for a website dealing with download links?

Any censorship on these TLD from your own experience?

Any good registrar you'd recommend for .ca?

Thanks!

9 comments
Really?

Hum, anyway this thing is weird, I did understand that the "problem" was coming from verisign, but as .org is not managed by verisign anymore, but by Afilias from ireland, I don't understand how they did to seize under this TLD, so maybe there are gonna seize domains names whatever the TLD..

Edit: sounds like all Afilias domains have the same problem than verisign ones, but .eu is run by EURid so I'd guess it's safe.. until EU decide to go the same path as the US did..

Would be interested if you have more information thefboo!

Last edited:
I dont know much, but this site myp2p.eu was temporarily taken down for streaming/linking to sky sport streams and some pay to view stuff of sky company.(mostly related to f1), so they had to take the content down before they were allowed to use that domain again

as you can see you are never 100% safe, add a link where they can complain and you comply with it.hopefully then, you`ll be ok

thefboo: interesting. I guess this was at the registrar level?

Sounds like the .org that had been seized (like Rojadirecta.org) was at registar level too. If so, it would mean that for now .org & .info (Afilias) are safe if registred with a "nice" registrar... Not sure though and as you say, you can't be 100% sure..

JoomlaZ: I think that .com, and net as well as other tlds run by verisign will be more and more easily seized and problematic...
If you want more information about that: http://torrentfreak.com/operation-in-our-sites-will-continue-seizing-domains-110407/

wack thats a freaky news mate :( well i hope they will only take down the giants first. Else it would be a tedious task for them to take down the millions of warez sites all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back