BBM coming to iOS and Android this summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 comments
They're way too late in entering the multi-platform market.

Whatsapp will stay #1 - they have more users than Twitter.
Facebook messenger / chatheads won't be affected much.

They will gather a lot of users, but nothing to put a dent into other apps' user base.

They're way too late in entering the multi-platform market.

Whatsapp will stay #1 - they have more users than Twitter.
Facebook messenger / chatheads won't be affected much.

They will gather a lot of users, but nothing to put a dent into other apps' user base.

I beg to differ.
Still 30-40% of my friend use blackberry solely because its the only mobile which supports BBM. When I told them about Whatsapp and its universal availability, their response was that BBM is way better than whatsapp. And this is the response from my friends, cousins and almost everyone I know who still uses BB.
The only drawback here is to RIM as its smartphones sales will be deeply affected.

^ Lol, don't base everything on what your friends use, theres a whole world outside your circle of friends.

If you look at the worldwide market share of BB, Android, iOS, Windows and others you can clearly see that BB is standing in death row and is only popular within 3rd-world countries. Even corporations which use Blackberry due to its high security are moving towards iOS and Android. Then, take a look at the worldwide use of messenger apps - Whatsapp, Kik, Facebook, Kakaotalk, Skype, Line, Viber etc. and you'll see BB losing popularity.

I agree, BBM on the Blackberry platform is the best messenger app available now - but only because its integrated within the Blackberry OS. When it comes to cross-platform messaging, they have no experience.

Last edited:
I am not denying anything or limiting my knowledge. Like I said, every user I still know who uses BB is because of BBM.
People were quite relucatant in the beginning to switch to iOS or Android, but its features outweighed their desire for BBM and eventually people started switching.
Out of the messerngers you mentioned, only Whatsapp, FB, Skype and Viber are doing fine.
BB is losing popularity not because of these messengers, it losing popularity due to lack of innovation, features in its smartphones. That's the whole reason why they are creating Android and iOS versions of BBM.

Look at instagram and pinterest, they were launched when their markets were already facing tough competition and yet they managed to make place for themselves. BBM doesn't really need to do that as there so many people who want BBM but can't afford to compromise with shitty BB mobiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back