Backup filehosts meeting these requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if they make any troubles if you have really many TB of data since I have only used it for my around 8 TB so far. But you are right, there can be no "unlimited" offer since disc space simply costs money and if you overuse it, at some point any company will contact you that you abuse their "fair use" policy.
After I disabled data deduplication in their client, I had full upload speed while the initial backup process. However, I just used it at university where I had 100Mbit/s and at home with 10Mbit/s so I can't tell you if you will get 1Gbit/s while upload.

I see. I guess there's no way round contacting them, then. Anway, thanks for your advice. ;)

On a different note, reposting this...

I would be grateful if I could more feedback on

-FilePost and
-FileFactory

@feedback on FileFactory so far:
SeeingMole said:
Then as I said, your best alternative would be ... filefactory. I don't think [they] will ban even if you store huge amount of data as backup. They've been around for years and have enough infrastructure to handle it.

darkw1zard said:
filefactory from what I have been using, is cheap company.. some files on certain server has technical problem & not accessible hence they asked the uploader to re-upload again.

...since it probably won't be noticed now that we are on another page. ;P

Unfortunately I can confirm that once in a while a file will simply disappear due to technical issue. Maybe it was on a bad server or something. So if you're after 100% secure backup place, FileFactory isn't the one. I'd say it's 99.9%.

The problem is that they don't notify you about files disappearing. Only when it gets deleted by DMCA will you be informed.

You could also take a look on the pretty new http://bitcasa.com/ or at classical cloud backup solutions like http://mozy.com/ or http://www.backblaze.com/

Unlike CrashPlan, none of those three seem to support Linux...

However, I just used it at university where I had 100Mbit/s and at home with 10Mbit/s so I can't tell you if you will get 1Gbit/s while upload.
Hm, just realized you only wrote about your upload speed - what about the download speed? Can you download files with 100Mbit/s at your uni?

Maybe it was on a bad server or something. So if you're after 100% secure backup place, FileFactory isn't the one. I'd say it's 99.9%.

Well, I doubt RS offers 100% security either. I bet that files disappear on RS servers as well (luckily it never happened to me).

So, in other words I wouldn't mind it that much if FileFactory was "just" 99,9% safe - I mean 99,9% is still pretty impressive considering how many servers/files they have to manage. Some files are bound to disappear no matter what technology (RAID10, etc.) you use. Shit always happens...

Unfortunately I can confirm that once in a while a file will simply disappear due to technical issue.
How often is "once in a while"? One file per month? Or less/more?

Btw, are there inofficial traffic limit as well? You know like the inofficial "download less than 100GB/day or we demote your account" hotfile has?

@other FileFactory users
Has anyone of you ever uploaded more than 8TB without getting your account suspended/files deleted/other shit?

Also, what's the max up/download speed? Are 500Mbit/s possible?

@FilePost users
same 3 question concerning storage (10TB), speed (500MBit/s) and traffic

I had always full speed in downloading files, however I also could test it with 100Mbit/s... Just try it, I think they have a free 30 days trial period so you can test it without any concern ;)

As I said, it's 99.9%, so 1 occasional file out of 1000. I think it's acceptable. If you put them in different folders, you will be able to see right away when you login which folder is missing something. Each folder will show the number of files inside. So all you need to do is to grab all the links in that folder and compare it to one saved previously and you'll know exactly what's been missing.

FF doesn't have any download limitations that I'm aware of.

If you upload and download in parallel, them I'm pretty sure you'll get as high speed as your connection can handle.

They have 4 FTP servers, so you can spread the uploads on different ones to get more speed. Each FTP server supports several uploads at a time, so let's say you send 3 uploads on each FTP server at 10 MB/s per connection, that will be 120 MB/s in total.

This guide will work on Debian based distros:
1. Download and add the key:
wget dist.bitcasa.com/release/bitcasa-releases.gpg.key
sudo apt-key add bitcasa-releases.gpg.key

2. Open repository list for editing:
sudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list and add this line at the end:
deb http://dist.bitcasa.com/release/ubuntu precise main

3. Save file and close editor.
4. Now update the list of packages and install bitcasa:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install bitcasa

Done.

Try this. Unfortunaly I don´t have any linux box to try now. Work only on x64 .

This guide will work on Debian based distros:
1. Download and add the key:
wget dist.bitcasa.com/release/bitcasa-releases.gpg.key
sudo apt-key add bitcasa-releases.gpg.key

2. Open repository list for editing:
sudo pluma /etc/apt/sources.list and add this line at the end:
deb http://dist.bitcasa.com/release/ubuntu precise main

3. Save file and close editor.
4. Now update the list of packages and install bitcasa:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install bitcasa

Done.

Try this. Unfortunaly I don´t have any linux box to try now. Work only on x64 .

Nice, thanks. By the way, you seem to have been using bitcasa for some time. Can you tell me if they meet these requirements:

-support a up/download speed of 500mbit/s, 1gbit/s preferred
-more than 10TB storage space (yes, I know that it says "infinite storage" on their site, however most businesses who promise "infinite storage" still have something known as fair use policy)

As far as I know they don´t have any limitation to how much data you can store, I only have 3TB of data on it. From US you can get the full speed of your connection :fly: since they store everything on AmazonAWS, but from OVH I can´t get more than 2Mb/s [ffuu]

I just started using a new windows based rdp and I'm getting 50-70 MB/s upload speeds per connection using zoom to filefactory.

FTP, I'm getting 10 MB/s per connection.

zoomff.png

Last edited:
Hey!

Sorry for my absence, guys - I was and still am in bad health. Will respond to your posts when I am well again.

I'm using a premium account with Filecloud and is perfect.

- Never delete files.
- Posibility to import files from some famous filehostings
- Unlimited storage
- Remote uploads max speed
- Perfect for HostingFlame leech
- Downloads maximum speed
- Posibility to make files private
- Clone files from other users

I only recomend Filecloud, about my experience is the best option.

FileCloud has a 2GB filelimit which isn't a lot.

For those using RapidShare as a backup:
They recently shared a perl-script for Linux-users to mount their rapidshare accounts.
( RapidDrive for Linux )

I checked the code and noticed they implemented a limit of 2TB. ( The script only works if you have less than 2TB stored )
So I'm guessing RapidShare is going to enforce a 2TB limit soon.

IMHO 2TB is still a lot of space and is more than enough for people that use it for their personal backups.

But if you store lots of files like OP you might want to consider spreading your files among multiple accounts or moving to another cyberlocker.

Ontopic:
I see you've done your research. I would stick with RapidShare spread along multiple accounts.
You mentioned HotFile as a possibility but doesn't the 400mb filesize-limit bother you?
Because if it doesn't there are a LOT of other hosts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back