A way to automatically determine the script a file host is running...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter South

I'm currently developing a website for reviewing file hosts at Welcome to FileHostReview | File Host Review and one of the fields I'm tracking is the file host script that each of these file hosts are using (XFileSharingPro, OxiShare, YetiShare, MFH, Kleeja, & Custom).

By any chance has anyone ever tried to create a tool that can scan a file host's URL and determine which of these scripts it is running?

For example, this site runs a script that kinda shows what I'm looking to achieve (however this site shows A LOT more than I'm interested in), using wjunction.com in this example:
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report/?url=www.wjunction.com

I'd imagine there has to be something unique from a file host's source code which I can cURL and grep for that would stick out and allow me to determine which script it is running.

If anyone has any insight or tips on how to do this I'd be most grateful!

3 comments
There is no way to determine the software used to create the site like VB or IPb or ??

You have to look at the page source and try to find any references to the software lie copyrights.

Well, these public file sharing scripts have it's own "footprint" - folder structure and script file names. It can be changed, but in 95% cases folder/file structure is the same on all sites.
So, if you will develop script which will make several GET queries to the specific URLs - you will be able to detect script name. However, that would not work for custom made scripts.

Yeah, my idea was something vaguely like this:

Code:
curl example.com > some_swap_file.txt; 
if grep "some_code_unique_to_xfilesharingpro"; then echo "xfilesharingpro"; fi
if grep "some_code_unique_to_yetishare"; then echo "yetishare"; fi
if grep "some_code_unique_to_oxishare"; then echo "oxishare"; fi
else echo "custom";

I'd also probably test for 3-4 different pieces of code in separate loops just to weed out false positives.

This is very very basic idea to start with, if I get going on writing something of my own I'll be happy to share it with you all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back