A good wap portal script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdx69

Can anyone recommend some famous and most used wap portal script, I mean if anyone knows anything about wap related stuffs.

Thank you!

11 comments
I doubt you'll find many WAP-only scripts, if any.

The only major difference between WAP and normal web/HTTP is that WAP uses a simplified version of HTML called WML (wireless markup language). So what you really should be looking for is a script that detects WAP users and outputs WML when it does. I believe Joomla and SMF support this. Don't know about the other scripts.

Yea basically from the research ive done all wap website is a very basic css with no images.

As for the script to detect mobile browsers I really couldnt find one that was flawless. Everyone seems to have issues.

@ do't know about script but your avatar "SYMBIANISM" tells me that you are SYMBIAN FREAK.

I APPRECIATE THAT YOU ARE BUILDING SOME THING FOR symbian USER ...

What exactly you are looking for???

@ do't know about script but your avatar "SYMBIANISM" tells me that you are SYMBIAN FREAK.

I APPRECIATE THAT YOU ARE BUILDING SOME THING FOR symbian USER ...

What exactly you are looking for???

Well yeah, my site main focus is on Symbian stuffs.

I am looking for a script that will let user using mobile device download easier, and I will make a kind of a different site(not forum), which users will be able to browse easier on the wap.symbianism.net sub domain and can find whatever I'd try to put it there. Instead of going to big forums, and finding each file, though I know there are some HTML or lightweight themes that can load the forum, but I'm not exactly looking for that, I just need a script which even firefox will detect it as a wap site. Not sure if you'd understand what I'm trying to tell here though..

Sorry but I'm guessing it's for MyBB going by your sig. Correct me if it's for another site.

I'd be amazed if anything exists, in fact I'd put money on it that it doesn't exist.
I've no idea how good you are at coding. If your average and have basic knowledge of html and css the good news is it's actually not that hard to find a script you like and just strip the shit outa it. I've done it many times for vB.

Have you a forum wap skin for MyBB added? If so you'll have to look through the CSS and the way the site is put together. Although div tags are used, usually mobile sites use llots of <ul> and <li>
If you haven't a clue about what I've just said you'll need to find yourself a coder. I personally don't know MyBB that well and I think wap is pretty much dead now as most smartphones are a lot more sophisticated than wap.

As for redirect script I'm going talk to you on MSN Del. I've never experienced problems but wanna know the problems you've faced.

Phones that are not able to "render" XHTML/HTML correctly are at least 6 year old phones, or even older. I have a Nokia N78 and N95, iPod Touch and Nexus One, so basically an "old vs new" phones experience, all of them view most web pages with no problems.

If you just want to create a "lite" version of your template for mobile users, you can do a simple useragent match against terms like "android, iphone, symbian..etc", if a match was found, use mobile.css which would be optimized for mobile use (full width, less images..etc).

Otherwise, if you want a fully featured complicated mobile portal, you'll have to hire a coder for that.

That's true el_j but the problem with portals is they usually have three columns. A main center one, left and a right. If it's a regular page that's fine but for a portal it would be better to reorganize it or you'd be scrolling for an hour to get to the bottom of the page with one column after another.
Your suggestion would work perfectly but for a usability and layout option it's not the best. It's the main page so I'd go personally to the trouble of reorganizing the layout.

Not that big of a problem to be honest, if he has a template system, he can create a template dedicated for mobile/smartphone users, then do the same useragent match, if the user is using mobile then template = mobile.

It's the "easy fix fast" solution.

That's true but it still involves coding a template which is what I was on about. What I think would be better would just have a different skin which is the exact same but different CSS and a different Portal template. Then all mobile users are redirected to the new mobile skin. If other things didn't work eg from experience in the user control panel their's two columns and it can scroll for a while too these can easily be changed too and at a later date if necessary.
Two skin's is the way most big sites work mobile wise and I think it's the easiest.
One of the biggest problems of mobile sites is all the drop down menus. They can be huge and are repeated at the top and bottom of the page. If the phone doesn't have javascript or recognize "hidden" their all shown as open and again your scrolling for half a day.
I think two skin's, a mobile one and desktop one where each have their own portal template is the best option instead of trying to go for something in between.

EDIT: I don't know MyBB and I'm presuming it's easy to have different skin's like IPB, vB etc.

Yea, he definitely needs to have a background in styling, but if he's using an already made well known script I'm sure there is already an addon to detect mobile users and probably a couple of already made templates for mobiles that he can modify.

For example, WTouch addon for WordPress.

Heya i have this i may not post link so PM me for link

WAP CMS Collection

List:
1: ACS CMS
2: FPMod V2 Beta
3: Moto Builder V2
4: NX PHP V2 Beta
5: WAPeng Mod for ASP
6: wwPHP Master v1.03
7: CLR WAPCMS
8: inCMS V1.0
10: inCMS V1.1