Worst Year for hosting Industry - Whats your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheetah

I believe 2011 - a pretty bad year for Hosting Business.
Reasons are

1) Thailand Flood caused shortage of HDDs , RAM sticks. Which badly affected many server providers and monthly server rental prices also increased :O

2) WHMCS Exploit caused attack on many hosters Including BS,S-Dome. Mass Wipe Out :facepalm:

3) RS ran away with money and many RDP,VPS dealers lost their clients data and money paid towards server renewals. X-(

4) IANA assigned all remaining blocks to Providers. Time to say good bye to IPv4 :(

How you guyz feel about the things happened in 2011. ;)

16 comments
Its really all how you look at it. Sure those things were pretty bad, but there are many hosting companies that had substantial growth and were only affected a little if at all by those things you mentioned. I think the companies hurt the most were the smaller less established companies. Its unfortunate for that as that means the larger companies who those smaller companies purchase servers from took a small hit.

Reasons are

1) Thailand Flood caused shortage of HDDs , RAM sticks. Which badly affected many server providers and monthly server rental prices also increased :O

2) WHMCS Exploit caused attack on many hosters Including BS,S-Dome. Mass Wipe Out :facepalm:

3) RS ran away with money and many RDP,VPS dealers lost their clients data and money paid towards server renewals. X-(

4) IANA assigned all remaining blocks to Providers. Time to say good bye to IPv4 :(

This is only a small part in the hosting industry. Overall this year wasn't half bad for most hosting companies

1) HDD production will pickup again January 2012.
2) Hosters will have learned their lesson
3) Customers will have learned their lesson
4) Change sucks, but technology moves fast

Western Digital already opened up one of their factories that was flooded, and they are working on the rest.

Many online retailers who sell directly to the public raised their prices because they knew they would make profit. (High demands + Raise in price = Profit). Big online retailers (newegg, tigerdirect) were never really short on hard drives, as they have a massive inventory.

It was a fantastic year. It was the year Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon and loads of others made the push to online cloud technology. You can edit a Google Document on any computer and it's exactly where you left it. You can bookmark an eBook on your tablet and when you open desktop your on the same page, my itunes library is on every device. Dropbox... it's awesome. We even use it at work instead of our own FTP at times it's so easy to use.

All the above are free and only a tiny proportion of what's happened and only personal hosting as an example. Why would I care about some shitty small warez host run by kids having trouble?

Cloud technology has started roll in every web apps distribution system ,Many organisation tested and deployed

one of the technology advance is file hosting where Drop box and ad box has been front runner

have to agree with raymond and Mr Happy hosting as a whole had a great year, warez hosting on the other hand yea it was a bad year for some but what do you expect in warez hosting?

also your 2nd point, I am not so sure it was an issue in whmcs many hosts including my legal hosting business are running it no issue. I think it comes down to these hosts do not know how to secure their servers then blame it on whmcs because it was found to have an exploit.

DONT generalize. if we werent affected then it is NOT. 2 and 3 example are just a small portion and they brought the demise to themselves. they arent even datacenters.

It was a fantastic year. It was the year Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon and loads of others made the push to online cloud technology. You can edit a Google Document on any computer and it's exactly where you left it. You can bookmark an eBook on your tablet and when you open desktop your on the same page, my itunes library is on every device. Dropbox... it's awesome. We even use it at work instead of our own FTP at times it's so easy to use.

All the above are free and only a tiny proportion of what's happened and only personal hosting as an example. Why would I care about some shitty small warez host run by kids having trouble?

Cloud technology was brought to hosting in 2010 lol.

I wouldn't go off the edge on the whmcs exploit any hosting provider should have common sense to wait a few weeks before you upgrade.

Same goes for software.

Whats ruining the hosting business more than anything is the average 16 year old fly by night company.

the decade of awesomness has just began with the ending of this year we have seen some great changes in the hosting ... for some it was bad for some it was good but isn't thats how always the things are ? well i would say the technology is progressing in a vast rate and hosting is expanding like hell :)

I wouldn't go off the edge on the whmcs exploit any hosting provider should have common sense to wait a few weeks before you upgrade.

Same goes for software.

Whats ruining the hosting business more than anything is the average 16 year old fly by night company.

It was in 4.x too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back