Status
Not open for further replies.

lockerz

hi
I am thinking of buying a small dedi server from ovh. But their windows licnese is costly . can anybody tell me how to get windows trial or cheap licesne for ovh ?

Thanks

13 comments
SPLA is needed only if he's a service provider (SPLA = Service Provider License Agreement). what would you do on the dedicated server? are you planning to offer comercial services on the server?

Wrong,
Any dedicated server in any data center must use SPLA .
If he is not a service provider then he need to buy the license from the data center or buy SPLA key from any one which is wrong also :) as no one will expose his key .

from what I know the datacenter has to use spla if provides the windows license to the client. the server can be provided without OS and the client can install the OS remotely. in this case, the client can use his own license. if the client don't use the server for comercial purposes, then he can use other license type. for example, the client can use the ordered server for studying and in this case he can use the key obtained from the university :)

@5gbps.com, Client is allowed to use own license if the dedicated server is entirely used by him. It's up to the client what he wants to use (i.e, trial or development etc.) However, if MS finds the illegal usage of their product, they have full right to seize the server regardless of the ownership and can take the client to court.
Also, there is a common mistake by certain VPS providers that we don't have any SPLA agreement so we just provide the Windows ISO/Template and client needs to provide license for Windows OS. Unfortunately this is completely illegal. The VPS provider rent server from DC and sells VPS. In this case this a commercial activity and VPS provider is required to take SPLA License key from the DC or become MS Authorized SPLA partner.

thanks for your help guys. this is my requirements

I am looking for a 100mbps/200mbps gurantueed server with 16/32 GB RAM . I will share with my friend. From ovh I am looking for SP32G/EG 24G. What would their price be with Windows Standard in USD.

I am a bit confused though. Is it possible to order from OVH and install trail windows and enter my own key? Can anyone offer just Windows SPLA to me if I buy from OVH.
Thanks

thanks all. can you provide me quote for windows spla license only? I think I will go with ovh directly but I need server 2008 standard cheap. would be very helpful if you can quote cheap

@5gbps.com, Client is allowed to use own license if the dedicated server is entirely used by him. It's up to the client what he wants to use (i.e, trial or development etc.) However, if MS finds the illegal usage of their product, they have full right to seize the server regardless of the ownership and can take the client to court.
Also, there is a common mistake by certain VPS providers that we don't have any SPLA agreement so we just provide the Windows ISO/Template and client needs to provide license for Windows OS. Unfortunately this is completely illegal. The VPS provider rent server from DC and sells VPS. In this case this a commercial activity and VPS provider is required to take SPLA License key from the DC or become MS Authorized SPLA partner.

thank you for making things clear. but what if the client provides ISO too? the provider must check what the clients are installing via KVM? there are many providers offering KVM. what if the client installs Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back