Windows 8 Pro promotional upgrade to cost just $15

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShareShiz

Banned
Banned
Windows 8 Pro promotional upgrade to cost just $15
By Andy Weir

Following last week's leak of Microsoft's planned promotion to allow buyers of Windows 7 PCs to upgrade cheaply to Windows 8 down the line, the price has now been revealed, and it's nice and low.

R9VSz.jpg

At the end of last week, we reported on the first solid information regarding the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8. At the time, it was revealed by Mary Jo Foley that Microsoft is planning a low-cost upgrade for all Windows 7 systems running the Home Basic edition or higher – but the leaked promotional material that accompanied that information left out the crucial nugget of info: price.

But now that key detail missing from Mary Jo’s leak has been revealed by another prominent Microsoft follower, Paul Thurrott: the cost of upgrading will be just $14.99 USD.

Now, to be clear, this means that anyone purchasing a Windows 7 system after June 2, when Microsoft’s promotional campaign begins, will be eligible for an upgrade from their Win 7 system to Windows 8 Pro at that price. That price tag is also specific to the US; regional pricing variations will likely apply.

This price is solely applicable under the promotional scenario described, and at this stage, there’s no indication as to what Microsoft might charge for owners of Windows 7 systems who PCs were purchased before June 2. Upgrades will also be made available further down the line for Windows 8 system owners to bump up to Windows 8 Pro, which will include features such as Windows Media Center, but we’re still waiting for pricing details on that ‘upgrade pack’ too.

31 comments
No use for WJ family since we all are using pirated windows 7 and there will be no updates for us unless we buy genuine win 7 which we all know that we will never do ever and ever again cuz win 8 sucks too bad and most of us who are real techy will stay with win7 for next 3-5 years and then switch to win9 because we all know win9 will rule not win8.

Windows 2000 = Good
Windows ME = Bad
Windows XP = Good
Windows Vista = Bad
Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8= WILL BE FAIL

Last edited:
No use for WJ family since we all are using pirated windows 7 and there will be no updates for us unless we buy genuine win 7 which we all know that we will never do ever and ever again cuz win 8 sucks too bad and most of us who are real techy will stay with win7 for next 3-5 years and then switch to win9 because we all know win9 will rule not win8.

Windows 2000 = Good
Windows ME = Bad
Windows XP = Good
Windows Vista = Bad
Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8= WILL BE FAIL
Can we have your autograph? <_< and speak for yourself. I have legit Windows. I guess you're much smarter than the genius technicians and engineers who work for Microsoft to build Windows 8. Good for you. I guess it's a very unfortunate that Microsoft didn't hire you because you will not make something fail like Windows 8. Wow! We are doom!

On a serious note: I think I would trust the "real" geniuses more. I think they know what they're doing, otherwise they wouldn't be this big in the first place.

To me, Windows 8 is like a hybrid OS that can be used on touch screens and normal PC's.

Windows 7 is decent but nowhere close to 2000 & 98se. Windows 8 is a joke they want a OS that can be used on tablets & desktops mixing both = mega fail & could kill microsoft

Can we have your autograph? <_< and speak for yourself. I have legit Windows. I guess you're much smarter than the genius technicians and engineers who work for Microsoft to build Windows 8. Good for you. I guess it's a very unfortunate that Microsoft didn't hire you because you will not make something fail like Windows 8. Wow! We are doom!

On a serious note: I think I would trust the "real" geniuses more. I think they know what they're doing, otherwise they wouldn't be this big in the first place.

To me, Windows 8 is like a hybrid OS that can be used on touch screens and normal PC's.

Ohh I guess i didn't realize that i am talking to a microsoft big fan here..

Dude all i can say is wait till it finally launch and when it does don't forget to use your microsoft friendly search engine called bing to check the result of windows 8 and see yourself a result.. I guess right now you are not searching how people are giving a bad feedback about windows 8 which is still in beta and yet to release. I myself installed it and used it for like 5.5 hours and then removed it permanently.

Windows is never built for home PC.. Today you will dislike my comment but later next year you will know who was right at that time.. 8-)

No hard feeling mate... :)

Ohh I guess i didn't realize that i am talking to a microsoft big fan here..

Dude all i can say is wait till it finally launch and when it does don't forget to use your microsoft friendly search engine called bing to check the result of windows 8 and see yourself a result.. I guess right now you are not searching how people are giving a bad feedback about windows 8 which is still in beta and yet to release. I myself installed it and used it for like 5.5 hours and then removed it permanently.

Windows is never built for home PC.. Today you will dislike my comment but later next year you will know who was right at that time.. 8-)

No hard feeling mate... :)
I'm not a big fan of any OS. I don't really care much about how things are as long as I can do what I need to do. I only replied to your comment because you made assumptions on something that hasn't yet available.

It's like saying a baby that's still inside a womb will never become a doctor or a musician.

Windows 2000 = Good
Windows ME = Bad
Windows XP = Good
Windows Vista = Bad
Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8= WILL BE FAIL

another failed troll.

if you dont like windows 8. by all means. stay with windows 7. there are plenty of people that didnt like 7 and stuck with XP. and not everyone pirates their OS.

you say you used windows 8 for 5.5 hours... well. try using it for a week or more. then give your feedback.

note. ive been on windows 8 as a main OS since the beginning of the year. thats almost 5 full months. there are plenty of reasons why windows 8 is better than windows 7. its just your too butthurt about the start button being gone.

care to share some?

speed. windows 8 boots in less time than 7. and overall performance is faster.
new taskmanager
new file transfer
easy refresh of system

those are just a few. there are many more other reasons why too.

there are just a lot of people that are mad that there isnt a start button. i know, at first i was like WTF wheres the start button. but after knowing where it was its just like knowing where the regular start button is. and the start screen may look weird at first. but after a few days you get use to it and it just a better layout of your apps.

The main thing that is utter garbage in W8 is this stupid MetroUI piece o' crap! If it didn't have that and kept the standard start menu then it would appeal to many more people than it does currently. If Microsoft wanted to make an OS which would work on tablets then create a new OS called Windows Tablet Edition or something similar.

JGM.

It's using a Windows 7 core as it's stated. It'll be the same crap with more functionality. If you don't like the tablet based view you can disable it. I think it's nice that they expanded to tablets and integrated things. You can take your documents and stuff on the go. Personally, I don't find much use for it desktop wise, but as long as they keep it nice and stable like W7, I'm down.

another failed troll.

if you dont like windows 8. by all means. stay with windows 7. there are plenty of people that didnt like 7 and stuck with XP. and not everyone pirates their OS.

you say you used windows 8 for 5.5 hours... well. try using it for a week or more. then give your feedback.

note. ive been on windows 8 as a main OS since the beginning of the year. thats almost 5 full months. there are plenty of reasons why windows 8 is better than windows 7. its just your too butthurt about the start button being gone.

Ohh really? I told a real thing and you didn't like it. see my post again. i didn't say anything bad about XP.. Check the tree again.

Windows 2000 = Good
Windows ME = Bad
Windows XP = Good
Windows Vista = Bad
Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8= WILL BE FAIL

Why are you comparing Windows 7 with Win XP? you should have compared with Vista not XP.
Windows XP should have been compared with Windows 98,2000 or ME because of same structure.
XP is really a good OS. i used it for like 7 years and then i upgraded my PC last year with Bulldozer CPU with 16GB of RAM and then finally switched to win7 not that crappy vista..

If you are using windows 8 for 5 months and you say that this is a good OS then you would definately say vista a very good OS too.. right shareshiz?

You are really exceptional in this case. I think you must be an employee of microsoft.

Windows Vista was a flop OS, ask anyone...

Ohh yeah you didn't say anything about switching back to vista. dude windows 8 is more likely a sister of windows vista. I am repeating once again that windows 8 will be a fail OS if they are releasing it for home pc. Windows 8 is for tablets not for desktops or laptops.. this is not just me. Google is your friend. ask him..

Last edited:
Ohh really? I told a real thing and you didn't like it. see my post again. i didn't say anything bad about XP.. Check the tree again.

Windows 2000 = Good
Windows ME = Bad
Windows XP = Good
Windows Vista = Bad
Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8= WILL BE FAIL

Why are you comparing Windows 7 with Win XP? you should have compared with Vista not XP.
Windows XP should have been compared with Windows 98,2000 or ME because of same structure.
XP is really a good OS. i used it for like 7 years and then i upgraded my PC last year with Bulldozer CPU with 16GB of RAM and then finally switched to win7 not that crappy vista..

If you are using windows 8 for 5 months and you say that this is a good OS then you would definately say vista a very good OS too.. right shareshiz?

You are really exceptional in this case. I think you must be an employee of microsoft.

Windows Vista was a flop OS, ask anyone...

Ohh yeah you didn't say anything about switching back to vista. dude windows 8 is more likely a sister of windows vista. I am repeating once again that windows 8 will be a fail OS if they are releasing it for home pc. Windows 8 is for tablets not for desktops or laptops.. this is not just me. Google is your friend. ask him..

:facepalm: he didnt say XP was a bad OS at all, neither was he saying anything about vista. He was simply saying you didn't really get much of a chance to experience the software in a few short hours.

@ms7:- Why people hated vista so much because it crashes too much..

Check this out and explore the site and clear your doubts that vista is a worst ever windows released by microsoft yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back