Why people post titles with dots!!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zibo

i always ask my self this, but it seems i can never figure it out!

Why people make replace space " " with dots "."

examples:
GREEK.S03E14.The.Tortoise.and.the.Hair..
Legend.of.the.Seeker.S02E11..

i mean, the official title doesn't have those shitty dots!
What is the big deal posting annoying titles that makes it hard for people to search and even to clean the title afterward!

I ask this here as all of us are webmasters and many are uploaders!

17 comments
Some system doesnt allow space when transfering from on system to the other. That is why they have dots if I am not mistaken.
For example, you cannot remote upload from RL with spaces in the filenames.

Naming
Rules for naming files and folders are an important part of the standards. Correctly named folders make it easier to maintain clean archives and unique filenames allow dupecheck to work properly. There's a defined character set which can be used in naming of the folders. The selected character set is chosen to minimize problems due to the many platforms a release may encounter during its distribution. Since many FTP servers or operating systems may not allow special characters in file or directory names, only a small set of characters is allowed. Substitutions are made where special characters would normally be used. As a note, spaces are explicitly disallowed in all current standards, and are generally substituted with underscores or full-stops: "(NO spaces or double dots - single dots or underscores ONLY)"

The ubiquitous character set includes the upper- and lower-case English alphabet, numerals, and several basic punctuation marks; it is outlined below:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
0123456789-._()

An example would be:
Title.Of.The.Release.Source.Codec-GROUP

The Xvid scene does not allow the use of "()", the bdr scene also doesn't allow the use of an underscore, while those are common with music releases. "[]" isn't definded in any ruleset, however it is used by p2p groups that do not follow these rules. The best known example is aXXo.
Taken from WIKI

24.S08E08.720p.HDTV.x264.CTU
24 - S08E08

There's a difference....

Private.Practice.S03E15.PROPER.HDTV.XviD-2HD
Private Practice - S03E15

even if it was the file name, why should a title reflect the file name and not the real title?

if the file name was family_pics.zip and it was avatar movie, i suppose he should do this as well?

also posters mostly use leeching! they copy paste everything so pasting a title as it is also not hard!

fanobliv stop acting gay! oh sorry you are!

this was never asked before.

also, i am talking here about the title and NOT the filename

even if it was the file name, why should a title reflect the file name and not the real title?

if the file name was family_pics.zip and it was avatar movie, i suppose he should do this as well?

also posters mostly use leeching! they copy paste everything so pasting a title as it is also not hard!

what kind of title do you want..

fanobliv i am racist alright. against niggers also. lol

anyway i will say it again, question about the titles, how hard is it to make a clean title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back