Why is FTP Uploading slower than other uploading methods ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadka

Hi all ... I have a question to ask ... I'm trying to upload files from my VPS, but no matter which file host I use, if I upload through their webpage, or sBorg, or Rapidleech, I get the full speed (whatever it may be, e.g. 5 MB/sec, 10 MB/sec, 15MB/sec, etc ..), but if I upload to their servers using FTP, the uploading is always slow ... I get like maybe 1.2 MB/sec .. or maximum 2 MB/sec (and even this is very rare!) ... This total upload rate also does not increase even if I increase the number of simultaneous uploads ... And this is happening with all the file hosts I've seen which have FTP upload support ..

Does anyone know what might be causing this and how can I fix it, so that FTP uploading is done at the same rate as done through other uploading techniques (webpage, sBorg, Rapidleech) ..

I am using FileZilla to do my uploading, on an Ubuntu VPS ...

Last edited:
8 comments
Yep I know its a different connection protocol and everything, but from my office I'm able to transfer files onto our company databanks (via the internet) and they upload at about 4-5 MB/sec, whereas here I'm always getting a total transfer of about 1 MB/sec max, no matter how fast a transfer I get through other uploading methods ...

And since this is happening with all filehosts, I felt that it has something to do with my FTP uploading setup ..

Like right now I'm uploading 4 files simultaneously, and the rates are 194 KB/sec, 196 KB/sec, 197 KB/sec and 199 KB/sec .... Whereas on this site I'm able to upload at about 10 MB/sec otherwise ...

Something is definitely fishy here ...

Open your port 21? Filehosts also have alot of traffic on FTP!

Isn't port 21 normally opened ? Plus, I'm able to communicate to FTP servers so I assume port 21 is opened ...

Yeah filehost may have a lot of traffic on FTP, but not all of them would have it, right ? .. Also, the speeds are always the same, so even if there is traffic, traffic levels for each file host should be different, right ? But I'm getting the same speeds for all hosts ..

I also have a few web hosting accounts .. I tried uploading to them, and yet again I get the same speeds ..

It's like as if something is limiting the per file speed for my FTP connections ..

Have a look at this ... The speeds are so much similar, its almost scary .. ! :P

ftpproblem.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back