Status
Not open for further replies.
tbh i dont get you, a scammer wont start selling again if his marked as an scammer thats just plain stupid, he would have the brains to go and make a new account.

Remember Elio? Respected member, SuperMod and what not. Then, bang, he scammed.

Now, I think this is not the only site where he earned some reputation with that username. So if you see him selling something in some other forum, you will be away from him because you know he scammed someone here.

And just think, if you get banned in one forum, would you change your username in all other forums where you're registered with the same name? Obviously not.

I don't understand what's the harm in trying. Sticking to the current policy is not helping, so just try a new policy, if it also doesn't work, come back to the current one. Simple.

Banning people here works very well. I don't really know where you get your data or statistics from, but making a conclusion that the common policy of banning scammers is not working, based on facts that you most likely don't have (thus pulling them out of thin air), is plain stupid.

Have you bothered reading anything you typed? Did it make sense to you?

How is a banned member any different from one labeled as a Scammer? You'd stay away from both, wouldn't you? The same member, whether banned or not, can create a new account, can he not? If you saw a member on here who was banned, and saw him on another forum and engage in a deal with him because he does not have a Scammer rank, you're stupid because you're not being careful. He was banned here for a reason, you might want to find out why before you trade with him/her in the next forum.

And finally, the argument that labeling him as a scammer here is going to be a better policy, so you can be protected because then you'll be cautious on other forums - well it's an invalid argument. WJunction is a forum; not your parent. We don't have any responsibility whatsoever to protect you or your interest in a different forum. You can go get scammed in 100 different forums by the same person, and we would not care. If you get scammed on WJ, in a deal that took place on WJ, then the member who scammed you will be banned. Period.

I don't see why we need a new rank for scammers. And your arguments, thus far, have not been anything close to persuasive.

If people are stupid enough to be scammed by new members with a small post-count than they deserve it to be honest i am sorry but that is the truth.

I sort of like this idea.

Giving them the rank of "Scammer" or "Untrustworthy" makes things easier. Think about it, when a scammer is banned, they have more incentive to make a new account because they can't access the forum to read PM's and what not. If we give them the scammer rank and restrict their access to the marketplace, they'll login occasionally to check their PM's making it easier to detect their multiple accounts.

It'll also make it easier for moderators/victims to communicate with them, when the scammer gets banned, the victim loses all contact with them and this makes it pretty much impossible to try and get a refund or something.

Obviously a few people might get scammed by people with the "Scammer" rank, but to be honest.. if you get scammed by somebody in a fucking scammer rank.. you got issues. :P

Banning people here works very well. I don't really know where you get your data or statistics from, but making a conclusion that the common policy of banning scammers is not working, based on facts that you most likely don't have (thus pulling them out of thin air), is plain stupid.
All scammers are coming back with other usernames and you say it works very well? Sorry but your statistics are horribly wrong.

Have you bothered reading anything you typed? Did it make sense to you?
Yes I have and it did.

How is a banned member any different from one labeled as a Scammer?
Does it make any sense? I didn't get it.

You'd stay away from both, wouldn't you? The same member, whether banned or not, can create a new account, can he not? If you saw a member on here who was banned, and saw him on another forum and engage in a deal with him because he does not have a Scammer rank, you're stupid because you're not being careful. He was banned here for a reason, you might want to find out why before you trade with him/her in the next forum.
Yes banned for a reason, but how does one know the reason? He could be banned for things other than scamming, it could be rough behaviour, breaking some rule, etc. A banned guy doesn't always have to be a scammer.

And finally, the argument that labeling him as a scammer here is going to be a better policy, so you can be protected because then you'll be cautious on other forums - well it's an invalid argument. WJunction is a forum; not your parent. We don't have any responsibility whatsoever to protect you or your interest in a different forum. You can go get scammed in 100 different forums by the same person, and we would not care. If you get scammed on WJ, in a deal that took place on WJ, then the member who scammed you will be banned. Period.
No answer to this one. My thinking is to keep both my home and neighbourhood clean, you bother about your home only.

I don't see why we need a new rank for scammers. And your arguments, thus far, have not been anything close to persuasive.
Neither are your's.

@Loget: Thanks for the positive feedback man. You got my point.

i agree. Most of the times i've seen many ppl on wj got banned i've always wondered why they got banned. When Hawk or Spookylady got banned for a short time. Being a WJ lurker i know they both did not get banned for scamming. They both got banned for breaking some rule like being rude or flaming. However how can staff or ppl defending that banned ppl = 100% scammer thing be sure someone is banned for scamming. If that's the truth then your saying we shouldn't ever deal with spookylady or hawk because they both have been banned for a short time in the past.

The people/scammers banned that go on other forums can just say ohh i got banned for flaming or some other reason. the members on other forums won't know what's truth.

I think what would be more effective is letting WJ members Why the person is banned. Like a banned list and a reason for the ban next to it. Therefore the members can find out if they are safe to deal with on other forums.

The OP is correct to some extent, its kinda pointless to ban someone when he can register back easily. I'm not sure but is it possible to have some kind of rank that everyone but the person who is given the rank can see. This way the scammer wont notice anything but everyone else will see his rank and not deal with him/her (again, i'm not sure if this is even possible).

If I actually never tried talking to banned members (trolls, scammers, spammers), I'd say you guys were right. But the thing is, you're not...

Most of them will talk to you nicely, after few messages, they will admit that what they did was wrong, but they wouldn't refund the buyer.

What's there to do except ban them?

This is supposed to be a webmaster forum, it's common sense to know not to deal with banned members. :facepalm:

seems a useless thread
even if they come back after getting banned one can check these service providers are new so not to trust them....simple enough

scammers always will be, so it useless. maybe rather than banning for being rude or flaming better to silent user like for 10 days, browse mode only :D if scammer then ban :D just my 5cents..

i like this thread..=)
go on...(y)
everyone have own opinion about scammer..!!
but what u think dey will stop after ban..
may be dey will come again with new name..<_<

yeah ban by ip is shit, nickname is shit too, but ban for mac number of card that would be end for half of scammers :P :D they even wouldnt know why they cant create profile :D

What an idiotic topic (not you), would you rather keep the scammers among us so they scam other people? giving them a rank doesn't stop them from making another account to scam with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back