Which Browser?-6 Alternative Browsers Based on Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladybbird1

I have been looking into Browsers and found this report;

C & P from Chris Hoffman

Mozilla Firefox is an open-source web browser, so anyone can take its source code and modify it. Various projects have taken Firefox and released their own versions,
either to optimize it, add new features, or align it with their philosophy.
These projects all have to release the source code to their browsers and can’t call them Firefox or use official Mozilla branding, such as the Firefox logo.

Waterfox

Mozilla doesn’t provide official builds of Firefox compiled for 64-bit systems yet. Waterfox takes Firefox’s code and compiles it for 64-bit Windows, without adding
additional features or making other changes. Many plugins, including Adobe Flash, now have 64-bit versions, so using a 64-bit browser for day-to-day browsing is very
possible. If you’ve already got Flash installed, you may need to download its installer to get the 64-bit version, too. The current installers come with both 32 and
64-bit plugins.
Waterfox uses the same profile data Firefox does, so switching to Waterfox is easy. If you decide to uninstall it, don’t select the “Remove my personal data†option
unless you also want to delete your Firefox data.

Pale Moon

Pale Moon is another “optimized†build of Firefox for Windows, but it also has a 32-bit version. Pale Moon diverges from Firefox in removing accessibility and parental
control options, while modifying the default interface settings to be similar to earlier versions of Firefox — it has a bookmark toolbar and status bar by default. It
also uses its own configuration directory, unlike Waterfox.

SeaMonkey

SeaMonkey isn’t technically based on Firefox, but it’s closely related. Firefox was the evolution of the “Mozilla Application Suite,†which also contained email, IRC
chat, HTML-editing, and newsgroup capabilities. These features were ripped out of Firefox to make it a more focused, speedy Web browser. If you long for the days of
Mozilla, you can use SeaMonkey, the successor to the full Mozilla suite. It’s also got an integrated feed reader.

Iceweasel

If you’re using Debian Linux, you probably have Iceweasel installed instead of Firefox. Mozilla won’t allow Debian to package and tweak their own version of Firefox
without calling it something different, so Iceweasel was born. Iceweasel is functionally identical to Firefox; it just has a different name and logo.

IceCat

IceCat is the GNU version of Firefox for Linux and other free operating systems. Mozilla Firefox is free software, but it recommends non-free, closed-source software
such as the Adobe Flash plugin. The Free Software Foundation didn’t like this, so they released their own version of Firefox, which doesn’t recommend installing
non-free plugins. IceCat is identical to Firefox beyond not recommending proprietary software and changing the branding, although it also includes an extension that
makes a few privacy tweaks.

Wyzo

Wyzo is optimized for downloads and online media. It includes multi-source download capabilities and an integrated BitTorrent client. Its start page contains links to
easily search torrents videos, TV shows, and music. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been updated in a while and is still based on Firefox 3.6.4. You can get many of its features in Firefox by installing extensions, such as FireDownload and FireTorrent – but these extensions also don’t support newer versions of Firefox, either. Still, it’s an interesting concept.

You may also have heard of SwiftFox, an optimized build of Mozilla Firefox for Linux. It hasn’t been updated since the Firefox 3.6 series, so it won’t offer you
improved speed. Linux distributions package their own builds of Firefox, which are optimized for 64-bit operating systems.
Thanks to Chris Hoffman for this review

I tried SeaMonkey a long time ago and thought it was quite good. I also tried Chrome & Opera, and they had some good points but some bad.
Have any of you tried any of the others and found them any good? All I would like is to find one that is fast, but doesnt have the lacking parts that many of them do, as I have to work very fast every day.

Thanks in advance -LBB

30 comments
I perfer Chrome for general browsing,

I have also tried seamonkey in the past and liked it a lot.
Only trouble I had was sometimes it was hard to clear my private data.
also it didn't have translations available.

I perfer Chrome for general browsing,

I have also tried seamonkey in the past and liked it a lot.
Only trouble I had was sometimes it was hard to clear my private data.
also it didn't have translations available.

There wre a few things wrong with Chrome when I tried it, maybe its improved since then, and yes I think Sea Monkey was good and it was fast too.

Here is a good translator and it has back translations to help you. Best I have found

http://imtranslator.net/compare/english/to-spanish/translation/#window

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I am downloading Waterfox, let's see how it perform.

Thanks and let us know your findings and opinions. :sun:

Ive just downloaded FFox 11 and its not too bad,, a lot faster than the old FFox I had, but I would like something with basic FFox, as Ive used it for so many years, but with all the extras.

I did try Opera and keep it as a back up, I love the Turbo booster on there, it makes it really fast, but it has other drawbacks.

ethicalmohit, what does Waterfox have that makes you think its cool, what has it got that the basic FFox doesnt>

Thanks guys for your input, cos I definately want to change, let me know what you find good with Aurora triumph8

I am fed up with the normal FFox not saving & quiting my tabs when I close it, I have to start all over again every time I start it up. My settintings to save are correct and the Browser set to True, so it save but doesnt. I have only had this problem since to upgraded to FFox 11. I see many are complaining about the same thing.

Gee why on earth cant they get the faults put right on each version, before they rush to bring out another one to compete with other browsers. :facepalm:

Dont forget to post your reviews please, cos FFox crashed on me last night. I need to find a new fast relaible browser, which will save your tabs when you close it

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Well Im trying Chrome again, I tried it when it first came out but wasnt impressed, but its a bit better now and certainly faster.

One question though

How do I widen the width of the browser when it opens, I have the same problem with FFox and no matter what I do I cant make both of them wider to fit my screen, there is a gap either side of them where I can see my desktop. I never used to have this problem, it only started in the last few weeks

Thanks in advance :sun:

Waterfox seems to share one critical problem with FireFox: memory leakage. My Waterfox comes bare with no additional add-on besides those installed by default. I open Waterfox with 5 tabs and left it for 1hr. It ate up 2.8GB of my RAM.

All the browsers have one problem or another and they are so busy trying to compete with each other by bringing out new updated versions, they dont bother to correct all the complaints on the older ones, and so the cycle continues.

Here is one very serious and simple thing that Chrome forgot;

They missed something Very Important on Chrome Download-No Shortcut Options

I see many complain of this, and never receive any replies. Even in their help and settings sections on the browser, it doesnt answer the question -

How do I create a desktop & start menu shortcut icon for Chrome?

I solved it myself....... when Chrome is open, go to start menu and drag the Chrome icon in there onto your desktop......

thanks for all the info. as much as i love FF over IE, it is a huge ass memory hog and it annoys the hell out of me. i actually typically have 3 browsers open at all times: FF 11.0, Opera 11.62, and Chrome 17.0.xx. all have weaknesses and strengths, so i use each one for different things.

i am tempted to try seamonkey as i didnt see any complaints about that one.

nusuth, I always used to use SeaMonkey. It`s a really nice browser (I think the only reason I switched was because I wanted tabs across multiple lines and I don`t think SeaMonkey had this option). So yes...go for it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back