What would make YOU want to stay with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

So I've had some worries about my community. I'm having a hard time getting anybody to join as an actual member. What would make you, and other people want to join and stay with this community? What would make this better, and a place for people to want to be?
Sign up and check it out, so you can view everything a member can view. Give me your insight, I need it.

Ambition Studio forums

7 comments
You asked me for a review earlier so I'll post it here instead of PMing you so people can agree or disagree.

Main Index
Main start get's redirected to http://ambitionstudio.com/home/index.html
I've no idea what the hell the site is. All I see is loads of text and one image which is a moving flag that grabs my attention. The urge to close the page is massive but DeLeTeD want's me to review it so I'll continue.
Move the Contact panel under the link exchanges, remove the flag and add facebook, twitter, email images for the links to make it more recognizable and visually appealing.
The main 'Welcome to Ambition Studio' should be max 3 lines if you expect me to read it. The others should all be smaller too as their way to long to read.
Justify all the text to the left not centered and change the font type to a more legible web based one.
Make it really really obvious where you want people to go from here. The link to the forum is tiny and really hidden away in the top left.

Forum Portal
When I click on Forums I'm hit with another portal as if the first wasn't confusing enough and hard to find. I still want to close the page. Loads more text all in different fonts and colors and it's still not obvious where to go from here. The only color and things that move and grab attention are adverts and a calendar which I don't know what's for. oops I'm redirected to register before I've had time to read everything and decide where to go next.

Forum
It's still not totally clear it's a warez site. It seams a bit of everything. Their's warez, (oops redirected) lots of photography stuff, some strange empty events area (redirected again) and a social area (redirected :( ).
Sorry had to close it. That redirect thing is annoying. If your trying to concentrate on gfx and photography then do that. Having a few downloads for required software is fine. Remove the portal as it looks terrible and isn't needed. If it genuinely is a GFX and Photography then make it clearly obvious and add slideshows and examples to the front index. Have a look at other GFX and Photography sites as they all look crisp, are clutter free and easy to navigate. Have a close look at everything on your site and ask the question 'is this really needed?' Pick what your aiming for and aim for it and don't get lost in the process. If your lost, then your visitors haven't a hope.

Best of luck with it.

that was the best review of life. I laughed so much, it's all true. The redirection was recommended because it supposedly brings in more members. I'm working on a different homepage, and I should take video out of my forums, as well as software as this isn't a warez site. Thanks for the advice Mr Happy. The fact that you said your tempted to close and later.. still tempted to close. I died laughing. Thanks.

Its just a forum like the 100's and 1000's of others out there...just a different layout. Don't count on having members post just because you force them to join

True, but there are a ton of webmaster communities and they seem to grow. In my opinion, if you make the board more centered around the user, then around the board itself, it makes them want to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back