What type of skills do you think a true webmaster should have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to be a good webmaster you should try being a good man first. You should have good human nature and then it is needed to be a smart man with thirst to improve. I will point out some basic human skills which are important to be a good webmaster.

 You have to be sensible, and able to figure out what you need, what you don’t.
 Then you have to have the urge to learn. You can always learn all the things needed to run a website. The basics can be earned pretty easily by anyone who has eagerness to learn.
 Then two other things you got to have to be successful, which are patience and hardwork.
 Finally with a mix of respect and bit creativity, you are “extraordinary”.

Now let’s talk brief how you going to use your skills to develop yourself, your site and how you can become a good webmaster.

Learn Basics: As you are very much eager to learn and got patience, so acquire the basic knowledge on coding, designing, SEO, marketing, keyword research etc.

Planning and Launching: After you have got the basic knowledge on technical aspects, it is time to figure out what you are going to do and how. Make detailed plan and make it unique with touch of creativity. Do some keyword research and figure out your niche. Good use of sense will get a good niche for you. Then determine host and registrar a suitable SEO friendly domain. Here utilize your knowledge about coding to choose which kind of script is going to be suitable for you. Make sure to give a moderate look to your site. At this point add some great contents according to your niche while keep in mind that content is king. Now your site is launched and you got basic technical skills to monetize it.

Monetizing and Support: Make sure that your site is technically sound. Do on page SEO perfectly and then go for some moderate off site SEO strategies. Keep an eye on your visitor behavior. Try to give them top class support regarding any issues. Take care of them in a kind and helpful manner. Update your site regularly. Do not try to force anything on your site for money. Try your best to contribute in welfare through your site; money will follow you on its own.

Be patient, keep updating skills regularly and respect your competitor’s along with community, there is nothing which can hold you back.

Last edited:
...............................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited:
Before defining "True Webmaster" let me break through term "Webmaster".

Webmaster is not about specially knowing everything about coding or designing awesome websites nor about SEO or server management knowledge. There are various types of webmasters, let me divide "Webmaster" in 2 sections:

1. Hardcode Webmaster
A hardcore webmaster will try to learn every new technology to maintain sites, either its onsite ( coding, design, server, security etc) related or offsite ( seo, marketing etc ). It is his job/passion/hobby to stay up-to-date.

2. Softcore Webmaster
Softcore webmaster are those who will choose a field like coding and have some basic knowledge how the web works. You can find a webmaster who just know coding or just domain/server management.

True Webmaster?
I have seen guys who just know basic HTML/CSS and JavaScript but they are working as a webmaster in companies and that's what they are, if they dont have knowledge of how to manage a server then it does not mean they are not a true webmaster. And I will not say "a person is not a webmaster" either who is master in server management and also run his few sites but don't know much about coding, He/She as well is a webmaster.

Sometimes in small companies these all jobs are handled by one person and in some companies they have many persons for each tasks like for front-end development they have another person, for back-end other and so on...

So now question is what is a true webmaster, In my opinion both above are true webmasters but here are most common rules they both should follow to be a best webmaster:

1. Should be dedicate to there work.
  2. They should be at least good in one field.
  3. Internet is changing very fast these days so they need to stay up-to-date in their field.
  4. They should join online webmaster communities.
  5. They should be friendly and open minded and should have patience to listen and admire to others.
  6. They should know how to use "Google" and there 99% tech problem will be solved.
  7. If they are providing any kind of freelance/paid service they should provide support to there clients and listen them carefully, there are some situations when clients are very angry so try to work it out with such situation.
  8. And finally be respectful with everyone either its online or offline, You should be more respectful in your online conversation as when you speak those words are gone in air but online your words are written and will remain online.

My opinion might be wrong for some persons but that's what I believe and have earned more then enough and still I am successful by following above rules.
(alight I gotta code now so enough writing.... )

Thanks for reading
Best Wishes,
mRAza

In my thinking first he should be honest nt cheat any member of his site give proper responce to new user and talking in a friendly way also complete knowledge with the site and most important he must fallow the rules and obey them

As the name itself says WebMaster, which means he knows the web in a better way than a normal person. That's the exact perception I gather from what we normally call someone a Web Master. Not everyone has the knowledge of every single programming language being used to build the websites.

A webmaster needs to have the skill of at least one of the basic languages like HTML, CSS, JS using which we can build simple websites. In these days, websites are easily built by the commonly available frameworks and platforms so having common knowledge of a single or two or more combinations of languages i.e., the front end and the back end is suffice for you to become a webmaster. That's not it all. Knowing how websites are run, issues to be faced in the future, how to handle unwanted situations, getting ranked in search engines, providing the best service to the user, creating a user friendly websites are the next aspect of becoming a good webmaster.

Not everyone can be a webmaster but everyone can become a webmaster out of the passion they have for the inter webs.

A webmaster does not need to know it all (php, html, server management, ect) because there is always somebody who can help with that. Hell, you don't even need to know the basics of html now with things like wordpress that exist. Everything is WYSIWYG and one click plugins for designs and addons. This stuff used to take us hours and hours to accomplish back in the day.

There are some basics though that a webmaster should have:

Take abuse: You're gonna get shot down, cussed out, blackmailed, screwed, and all out dismissed sometimes. You need to be able to step back. Look at the situation and react accordingly. You cannot take everything personally. I may cuss somebody out one second, than be playing with my nephew 4.5 seconds later. It doesn't mean much to me, so you need to brush it off. You never know if the person on the other side of the keyboard is having a bad day or not. They may just take it out on you.

Patients: This is probably number one. Nothing will move quick. If it does, it's gonna go wrong sooner or later. I've had sites grow to well over 100,000 visitors within a month and shit goes wrong when rushed. Be it hardware, script not being fully completed, hacked, ect. You gotta have patients to do things correctly.

Works when outsourcing work. It may not get done right away. There might be delays. People have offline lives. Maybe a family member passed away right after you hired them to complete work. Patients, patients, patients!

Adaptable: Things change on a daily basis. Can you adapt to changes? Websites used to be basic. Very very basic when I first started online. Dark black backgrounds with blue font (stupid, I know lol) was how it was done. You won't see that too often now. Everything is always changine and you need to be able to stay with it.

This kind of goes with the above, but you need to always be learning. Nothing is good enough. I study shit that has nothing to do with me at the moment because I *might* use it down the line.

People skills: Is a must. You deal with people more online than working the front counter at a McDonalds. You gotta know the limits of a person within the first few seconds of talking to them. You're gonna want to pay less for stuff and get more every single deal. Can you do it?

In closing, you really don't need to know design, html, coding or server management. The above are key points on things you cannot learn. You just need it to be successful.

A true webmaster huh?

1. Ofcourse he must know the basic skills of programming. atlease html and PHP.
2. Yes he should know some basic photoshop skills.
3. Dedicated to whatever he is doing.
4. Dont hanker after money.
5. patient and helpfull.
6. Atleast have some idea of other thins like server management etc.
7. Have the speciality to be friends with peoples so easily.

I think thats the basic things to become a true webmaster.

1. HTML
2. PHP
3. SEO
4. graphic designing
and above all he/she should know about goals. What is the requirement of project. How much to be patience.

Coding skills are obviously required but the first and foremost thing all webmasters should have is PERSISTENCE

If you run a new site without any profits for a whole year without any downtime, then you are a good webmaster.

All the other skills will automatically join you if you are persistent.

All people who already have websites know this and all those who are thinking about building their own site, should know this.

In my point of view, good webmaster should have skills on following things:

1.coding
2.graphics
3.patience
4.open minded
5.server management
6.databases management

at least these things i find important in everydays job of webmaster. Of course if webmaster work only on forum such as this here, some of these listed things above are not relevant.

Being a webmaster requires responsibility, therefore a webmaster should know at least an average amount of these things:

• Programming - Better at HTML and CSS and some basic PHP and Javascript.
  • Server management - A webmaster should know what server his website requires and calculate things such as bandwith, space etc. A webmaster should also know how to configure/setup programming languages (eg. configure php.ini), know how to configure a web server such as apache or nginx etc.
  • Deal with databases - It's mandatory for a webmaster to know a DBMS's syntax and perform at least some basic queries, needed to run a website. If this can't happen, a webmaster should at least be able to work on a database management interface such as phpMyAdmin.
  • Photo editing - It would be a big plus if a webmaster has at least some very basic idea how to create an icon, a background, a logo etc. There is no need to pay someone for something that can be done so easily.

The role demands an attitude that supports self-help, constant upskilling, and a vigilant eye on technology. A webmasters responsibilities can vary greatly between organisations of various types and sizes.

HTML/CSS
Javascript/Flash
PHP/ASP
Familiarity with one or two open source CMSes (Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla)
Working familiarity of databases (MySQL, Oracle)
Basic Linux/Unix
Ability to ghost write
Some knowledge of SEO
Familiarity with Accessibility best practices (Section 508 / WCAG 1.0)
At least a working knowledge of design and user interaction

No one person can be an expert in everything related to web, but it's your job to act as a point person. Since you will interact with clients directly, it's your responsibility to understand their needs and figure out how best to meet them.

Its not about what he knows, its about what he wants to know/learn. No one is a born webmaster, he should be perfect in only one characteristic according to me and that's willingness to learn more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back