What kind of hosting would a project like this require?

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 comments
I would say you need a low end dedicated server at minimum to start, 10TB bandwidth.

Unless that bandwidth comes cheaply, spending extra on a server with a large transfer allowances would be a waste of money unless you can be sure you will be able to use it.

I think it would probably be more cost effective to go for a small server or VPS with a host that can meet your potential growth needs.

It's worth paying extra for something smaller if you know you can grow later on.

You wont get very far with 80GB SSD Disk

You want a VPS minimum just for the main site script.
A dedicated server with high storage capacity for storing files & the option to add more drives/servers fast.
When you have some traffic another dedicated server for encoding media files.

Check what the datacentre offers in the way of internal bandwidth as well, you really want unmetered.

Last edited:
Shared hosting is definitely out of the question as the resources you consume as far as CPU will likely be in violation of most hosts TOS (using resources to the point it affects other customers). A VPS would be better but if you get a lot of traffic and a lot of videos streaming you will run out of disk space and CPU fast, and also may begin affected the host node, most hosts won't allow this.

If your site is just starting and is not that busy and doesn't have a lot of traffic or content, a VPS will be fine until the above starts happening. To plan ahead consider which provider and dedicated package you want so you can order and migrate everything to it once your VPS outgrows you.

This is where a physical dedicated server makes the most sense since you can use the full resources of whatever hardware you choose. I would actually recommend running a VPS on the dedicated and allocating all the resources to it, this way your host node cannot be hacked due to issues with your website or other exploits and you can live migrate to a more powerful server in the future.

This is further on of course but if your site becomes very large and successful you'll want to consider a public or private CDN and also load balancing your sites and videos across multiple servers.

I would suggest you to go with a dedicated server for such website to get more security for your huge database, large disk space, a good memory. For a website like this, you will also have good number of visitors which can only be handled by a dedicated server expertly. For a dedicated server you also get quality dedicated services to manage your website with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back