What's your opinion?

• Would you be grateful to get the food?

Votes: 23 95.8%
  • Should we throw the food away?

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

barcodenation

Ok so I work at Walmart and I am the Deli/Bakery Department Manager. My friend is the Produce Department Manager. Each month we donate food (on my side it's almost expired and on my friends side it's just veggies and fruit that doesn't look perfect) Anyway so we donate this food to a program called Feeding America. A man comes every Monday Wednesday and Friday to pick it up and the food is then taken from our store and then to a church where needy and homeless people and/or families come and pick up the food to eat.

Another friend of mine on facebook says that it's disgusting for us to donate this food to people because it's close to being expired and that we shouldn't be proud of donating the 7,100lbs of food that we did in January of this year.

My question to you is this. Should we be proud of donating food to people or should we just throw the food out and not give it to anyone. Would you be happy if you were one of these needy people?

32 comments
If you have prevented just 1 person from going hungry, even better if it is a child, you made a difference that is worth something.

You stated the donated items were not out of date and I assume not problem with being edible.

You have every right to be proud of your effort to help keep others from going hungry.

Yeah the food isn't out of date yet and I've personally bought some of the same products because I mark it down for quick sale every day. If people don't buy it buy a certain time that day then it goes to boxes then the freezer to keep. I have bought these items and kept them on my counters for over a week and the food is still very edible. It's just a use by date that we give for perfect freshness from my bakery at least. The produce obviously won't keep that long as most produce won't anyway. We get the produce in and if it's not sold within a couple days it's off the floor. The produce is still good though and I would personally eat anything we donate.

barcodenation be honest in my live i will never donate companies in my home country . ( you from us and me from uk probably know what we talk about ) donation companies from us countries take so much money for running comp. . ) pleas donate some some foundations for non-profit donation copmp. . .ie i do this every year for 10% of my wages ( be honest this a mouth is not kill us ) ....

barcodenation be honest in my live i will never donate companies in my home country . ( you from us and me from uk probably know what we talk about ) donation companies from us countries take so much money for running comp. . ) pleas donate some some foundations for non-profit donation copmp. . .ie i do this every year for 10% of my wages ( be honest this a mouth is not kill us ) ....

Feeding America is a Non Profit organization mate ;) The man that picks up the food is actually a man who is disabled and cannot work. He is paralyzed from the waist down and we load the food on his truck and he takes it to the church where the families and people unload it and then they sort it out and eat person gets almost the same amount and types of food.

[hmmm]:unsure:[pokerface]:s:S

Keep up the great work, respect to you. And yes, your friend is an idiot. There are people who don't care about others at all but don't mind criticizing when others do. Your friend must be one of those sad folks.

i used to work at a local supermarket in the same department as your friend. i was the guy who handled the reduced fruits/vegetables. if it's really bad we throw them away, a lot of the times though, they are just bruised and nothing more than that. so your friend i'm sorry to say is an idiot. it's not like you're giving away expired or garbage to those in need. forget your friend man, keep up the good work!

Nah r0ck our Walmart strives to be great and we're one of the top stores in our region. We do everything we possibly can to make it a good shopping experience and don't settle for almost good. Our produce always looks good.

We throw away anything that's not any good and usually don't give away much bruised stuff either because if it's soft it could possibly be bad.

Those guys are stupid. This whole thing is stupid. Just do what you do in life and don't anyone tell you different. :|

in my opinion it is a really good thing that you are doing mate, dont worry cause you are actually helping people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back