What do you do if your hosting refuses to answer tickets after VDS suspended ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca

As per title.

So to keep a long story short:
- My bills were 3 months overdue (because i was away) but the blog was run by staff.
- The host sends me an email , saying VDS is suspended and i owe them $1000
(yes it's a big server)
- I paid them 500 dollars
- I send them a ticket sayin:
"i've paid half, can you please restore the services because i need to access important business email from the mailserver (local MX)"
"I'll pay your other $500 next month, as i don't have any more money today"

So i hoped by paying half, they would think about it & give me more time.

Also, the longer the site is offline, the LESS money i will be able to generate. Because the blog only has ADS to pay for its bills.

So since the past 2 days, i've sent numerous replies in hopes that a Billing/Sales team guy will respond.

But nope they're not responding to me.

I know these guys are NOT scam becauses i've been hosting with them for almost 2 years now.
These guys have been in business for half a decade as well.

But why are they ignoring me now ? I really need the VDS back online :(

I'm keeping the host disclosed as they could be watching this thread.

They're based in US, but the datacenter is in NL. So i'm overseas. So email is the only way i can communicate with them.

14 comments
@Orca, You should try to contact them over phone or live chat (if they have). The issues I can see here is

1) Are you sure that the invoice was overdue for a period of 3 months ? Or it's an overdue invoice in quarterly billing ?

2) I don't think they will give you access without receiving the full payment. In 99% of the cases, it's a tactic by client to get the data backup and run away without clearing the dues.

3) If the invoice was overdue for long time there is a high chance that they terminated your VPS and kept the overdue invoice on your account ( You are obliged to pay all overdue invoices).

Anyway hope you will find a way to solve the issue

Your fault for being 3 months overdue on payment. You're lucky the host was kind enough to keep it up for 3 months. They could have suspended it after the first week overdue and you would have lost 2+ months of revenue.

So if they're not too keen on answering you till you've cleared your dues, I suppose you should understand why.

But the main point IS that i was with them for 2 years, they know me well enough. So for being overdue 3 months, which is clearly an oversight since i was away. The bills are monthly. I realized this.

Another point is, i work with 2 ad-networks in my country, who are legally required to send me pro-formas and i must REPLY to those pro-formas with my SIGNATURE. Otherwise i won't get payment in the bank.
Why pro-formas ? Because the payments are direct to the bank (wire) They don't offer paypal.

So i don't just need the servers online to keep the sites going, but also to have them online so that the MX (local mail) works so i can sort out my financial emails.

Otherwise, how else do they expect me to give them the other half . If i can't make or get the other half?

2 years is a long time, I don't disagree with that. I've been with a provider for 4 years now. A month overdue is fine. 2 months they may be willing to overlook if I popped in a ticket explaining the delay. But 3 months is a stretch no matter how good my relations with them. At the end of the day, they're running a business. Clients are valuable but you can't just sit around incurring losses because a 2 year old client hasn't paid up for 3 months and the amount is relatively significant.

I may understand your situation about not getting paid from ad networks, but if they refuse to, then you can't really blame them for that.

If you knew you would be away, you should have pre-paided them for this period. I know there was a few clients who did that with us and requested us to put our email to Pingdom, but 3 months is quite long time and there are no much hosts who would do that for you.

Try to call them, not much you can do at this point :(

Ask them to only forward you the emails in the account so that you can get them money, that way you wont be in a position to get a backup but get the emails with which you can then get your AD money, if i was in their position i would do the same and not let you access any data until everything that was due was paid off completely because i have no guarantee (regardless of how long you were hosting with me) that you will keep to your word and pay the remainder after you have received access.

Borrow $500, pay off the invoice and then you'll have access and you can pay that person $500 with a bit on top back.

But what i'm failing to understand is, why ignore the customer, regardless of how many tickets they make ? Why the ignorance?

I know i got a big bill to sort out, but the fact is i, immediately paid half of it, as that's what i had in paypal, i won't see any more money until i sign off the other wire transfer emails from the ad networks, (ofcourse the mail is in the server since its local MX or probably bounced back as the DNS isn't resolving since CPanel does the DNS too.)

If i made clear to you that i was not going to reactivate your hosting until you paid the bill in full and you continued to ask/beg me to put it back on before payment i would also ignore you as i have nothing further to add to the conversation and further rejected can cause the client to be more upset than be ignoring the messages assuming that is what was said.

At the end of the day it comes down to what lifetalk said, they have a business to run.

It is not their problem that you were away
It is not their problem that your mail servers are on their servers
It is not their problem that your money is tied up because you have your financial mail servers on a server that you neglected to pay for three months.
You should create redundancy for your financial processes if they are so sensitive.

It is good that you immediately paid them at least half, and is strange that they have not replied.. But yet at the same time, they are not obliged to do so.

I would say you should continue to try and contact them further, only after you pay the bill.

I wish you the best and hope all works out well.

Be happy that they kept your server alive.

Offtopic: We suspend the server immediately when overdue. Then after 5 days we terminate.

I know it's all my fault & everything, but i didn't think it would come to a point where they're ignoring every single ticket i make.

As i can't beg them to reply to me, so what i've done now is:
- changed my dns info at domain registrar
- bought another cheap vps from another provider who i already have multiple servers with.
- Now the offline domains are pointing to the new vps.

Does that make me a bad person ? You might say yes, but the fact is if i can't access my financial mails, i'll do what i can to gain access.

Also at least 100,000 of these users per day, will see that the site is online (instead of thinking we're gone for good)

No way in hell, i'm going to spend all that money in AdWords just to regain the lost traffic. And with the site now hosted on a different VPS, i can finally let the ADS raise enough money to pay off the rest.

I can't wait to get away from this host & this time, i'll make sure every site of mine has mirrors. So if one vps goes down, there's another one ready to go. (Thats a lesson learned)

Now , do i make another ticket telling my host that i've changed the DNS ? or just leave em ?

it's only your fault. pay the invoice and gain access to your vps. other company probably would terminate your vps after 3 months. also they probably ignore your tickets because you are spamming them asking to give you access to your vps even if you don't pay your overdue invoices. you should think twice before doing something ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back