Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Hello guys,

I need to buy a dedicated server but I dont know what to choose.
Can someone help me please?

I need to decide between this 3 options:

OPTION 1
CPU Intel Xeon E5-1650v2
Cores/Threads 6 / 12
Frequency /burst 3.5 GHz+/ 3.9 GHz+
RAM 128 GB DDR3 ECC
RAID SOFT/JBOD
Disks 2x 2 TB SATA3
Bandwidth 300 Mbps
Connectivity 1 x 1 Gbps

OPTION 2
CPU Intel Xeon 2x E5-2650v2
Cores/Threads 16 / 32
Frequency /burst 2.6 GHz+/ 3.4 GHz+
RAM 128 GB DDR3 ECC
RAID SOFT/JBOD
Disks 2x 2 TB SATA3
Bandwidth 400 Mbps
Connectivity 1 x 1 Gbps

OPTION 3
CPU AMD 2x Opteron 4386
Cores/Threads 16 / 16
Frequency /burst 3.1 GHz+/ 3.8 GHz+
RAM 128 GB DDR3 ECC
RAID SOFT/JBOD
Disks 2x 2 TB SATA3
Bandwidth 400 Mbps
Connectivity 1 x 1 Gbps

Whats the best server? :-)
And btw, what hosting company do you guys suggest for multiple adult websites? (all legal)

Thanks! :)

20 comments
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately that company have lots and lots of bad reviews on webhostingtalk. The main reason is lots of downtimes... That is not good at all.

What do you think about the 3 options above? What's the better?

Thanks!

I can assure you 100% that you'll be satisfied.
I got dedi server from contabo.com ( the cheapest ) and everything works great.

On the WebHostingTalk can find everything for everyone, positive and negative comments. I can be a living example Contabo.com has excellent dedi server and with them I have quite a long time.

None of it. If you need a high-end dedicated server, I/O will be the bottleneck on all 3 servers that you are considering.

I would suggest you to get at least 4 drives in hardware RAID10.

Keep in mind it's better to spread your stuff over multiple virtual servers sometimes, instead of keeping all your eggs in the same basket.

If your main priority is CPU and RAM then option 2 is good. But if you host many websites that need DB access you should upgrade disks to SSD.

The hardware is fine ..,

Just try to get 4x1TB setup in Hardware RAID, this will bring down the I/O Wait.

Regards.

About the web hosting, what are you looking for ? Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated ?
As we have also opened our doors for public now :)

Last edited:
jure12. thank you for your feedback.

Kruno, thank you for your reply. I don't have too much knowledge on this, can you please check the additional options in the link below and tell me If is better to buy any of these to improve the server? Thanks! :)
http://i.imgur.com/yKF9Q5M.png

Cheetah, I think that SSD disks have less space right? I dont know how much disk space they have.
Can you please take a look?
Servidores dedicados - A gama Entreprise - OVH
http://i.imgur.com/yKF9Q5M.png

ServerPolice, like I said, I don't have too much knowledge on this... why 4x1TB? anyway, I think that this option is not available on OVH.

First of all, I wont recommend using the "new" OVH Servers, almost 60% of the time we have been managing those servers for our clients we have seen their hard-drives crashing. I had a SP Server with them and happened to me too.

4x1TB would be better first for redundancy and stripping, RAID 10 is the fastest raid you can get with redundancy.

Also with 4 Drives, the IO wait will be a lot less, since your data would be read from different disks and hence faster.

Thank you for your reply mate! :-)

I received a proposal from leaseweb:

HP DL380pG8 (12xLFF)
2x Intel Octa-Core Xeon E5-2650
128GB DDR3
4x1TB SATA2
100 TB Datatraffic included (uplink 1GE)

What do you think?
I think that the processor is not better than OVH right?
And they only have SATA2 instead of SATA3
About the hard disks they also offer SSD (4x240GB SSD)
All of my websites have 100GB, so I think that is a good solution instead of SATA2 right?
Can I have SSD running in RAID 10 too?

About OVH, yeah, I know what you mean, I am client for about 18 months and so far, two hard disks has failed... they replaced to a new one but I had to pay 80€ (ex taxes) for them rebuilt the Raid Soft.
I am not happy with them, that's why I'm checking more hosting companies.

The hardware is fine ..,

Just try to get 4x1TB setup in Hardware RAID, this will bring down the I/O Wait.

Regards.

About the web hosting, what are you looking for ? Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated ?
As we have also opened our doors for public now :)

Really recommend this company been with them for more than 7 months amazing stuff and speeds and quality :)

They replied to my message and they said:

Indeed we offer the 2x E5-2650 (first edition), so it is no better.
However, we don't charge a setupfee, we still deploy servers and we
deliver the server including hardware RAID.

It is possible to run with 4x 240GB SSD's in RAID 10. This will give
some extra performance compared with RAID 1, but the RAID controller
will be the bottleneck. You can also decide to order the server with
4x300GB SAS drives in RAID 10.

If was you, what should you choose? SSD or SAS? 60€ between them.

Also, my current processor in the OVH server is this one:
ARK | Intel® Core? i5-2400 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)

This is better right?
ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2650 (20M Cache, 2.00 GHz, 8.00 GT/s Intel® QPI)

In that case you need to check the following

1) How many of your websites are dynamic ( CMS based), resource intensive and use mysql databases

2) Do you have any database which is sized 1GB+ and have too many tables/rows on it

i owned a few sites and i think you should go with ServerPolice as they are better than anyone i had met with.

They will provide you some cool Hardware and they will take care of HIGH LOADS etc...

also u don't need that storage And Ram if your websites are 100GB in total you should spend less money and get something with like 500GB to 1TB BUT SSD.
The SSD is Great if you had data lost in past.

why not choose from other providers, our company offers dedicated servers,too. You can have a look at our products and make a comparison, then it will be proper for you to make a decision.
More info about our products is on clear-ddos.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back