Status
Not open for further replies.

skinner

Hi,

I'm looking for 1 vps for take my backup but I don't know which one choose: how many dedicated ram do I need? I don't install any kind of http service..

Thanks

14 comments
Hello,
Nothing to big needed except your HDD space, possibly 1 -2 Cores it depends what sort of backups system you have in place being transferred.

if there is no gzip/gtar compression on remote side [ i.e, if you don't use script like cpremote] , then any vps can do the job. Just make sure there is enough space on vps.

Hi!
If you only want to use it for backup place, then why would you buy X GB ram, etc. You only need a minimal ram to run the operation system and handle the writing of data to disk, thats all, all the gzipping and cpu intensive script should run on the machine where you are backing up from (at night for example, when you don't have that much visitors)
You create the backup, ftp/sftp etc. it to the backup host, and you are finished. This way you can have backup host just for a few bucks.

Cheap backup hosters i know:
hostigation
buyvm

RAM and Processor is not very important. Most important - hdd space.

I recomend to check cheap dedicated servers

Ram, Processor, and Diskspace are all important in this factor for backing up data as it mainly is going to be required by the backup method that he/she is going to be using as there are many backups methods now days such as FTP, Rysync, SFTP, Rdiff-backup, and more. There are serveral backups methods that do take up alot of RAM & CPU.

@OP
I recommend that you purchase a VPS server from a provider who has r1soft backups just incase having r1soft on a VPS with the ablity to have access to given to you by the VPS Provider you can rest assure knowing you've took extra measurement of having data backup safetly not once but twice on your VPS / R1soft backup.

I recommend that you checkout http://jaguarpc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back