Status
Not open for further replies.

happyvalentine

Hello dear members,
How are you? I hope you guys are doing great. Ah I miss this forum so much, but its my job which keeps me busy.... So can't visit this forum more often.

I have been using Atlantic.net cloud service for my secret website! and I am pretty happy with their service. Recently I have heard about Virtualization Hosting Solutions. But I don't know anything about it. Is it same as VPS hosting? From the following url

http://www.atlantic.net/virtualize-virtualization.html

I have also found some new terms like Xen Dedicated Virtualization, KVM Dedicated Virtualization, VMware Dedicated Virtualization, etc. But what do they mean? Why any member here doesn't offer such services?

Can anybody please share your knowledge? I am just curious.

8 comments
Hello ...

The Xen, KVM, VMWare, OpenVZ, etc. are just different virtualization technologies. They all have pros and cons.

Many members here offer Xen/KVM/OpenVZ, but not many do VMWare as the licensing is expensive.

Cheers

It's mostly marketing gimmick. Some choose to say Virtual Dedicated Server, Virtual Private Server, etc... same thing.

They are offered here.

Thanks for your reply guys. So, concerto49 VPS and virtualization hosting means same thing? No difference at all? I would like to hear more about it from you. :)

Virtualization is when you slice up dedicated resources into virtual machines. VPS is the end result.

You virtualize a dedicated server into a set of VPS.

Most customers using the VPS for hosting only do not mind about it is on OpenVZ and less expensive. The one like OpenVPN and Kernel mods loves KVM/Xen.

OpenVZ is more like a jail / chroot

KVM - your full hardware virtualization

XEN - You have PV(Paravirtualized), then HV(Hardware-assisted virtualization) and a bit of a mixture resulting in: PVHVM

What im about to say could be inaccurate.
Off the top of my head:

KVM and XEN allow for custom kernels, alllowing the users more control in that aspect in regards to OpenVZ. They also allow the ability to take advantage of physical hardware on the host Nodes.

Do you want to mount your own ISO's and install pre-configured OS's? > KVM
Do you want better chance at a chuck of your resource/custom kernels? > Xen
+Nothing wrong with OpenVZ if it suits your criteria

So many things unmentioned here, research into each is the best idea i think.

Dont let anyone fool yah, you can oversell everything on all hypervisors - CPU | RAM | HDD etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back