Ubuntu FTP Server help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneee92

Hey guys. I'm setting up a server using Ubuntu and accessing with SSH. I've got apache, PHP, MySql and PhpMyAdmin all installed and working. The problem I'm having is FTP. The root is in /var/www/html but I can move this some where better if needed just show me how :) It's empty for now due to FTP.

I followed a generic tutorial for install vsftpd and I changed the directories they used from /home/user/ftp to /var/www/html but it just doesn't want to work.

It connects and all but it won't upload. I can remove files if I make them with SSH but can't upload. Can someone give me a detailed tutorial on how I should set this up correctly. Bit of a linux noob :/

Thanks,
Shaneee

7 comments
looks like a permission issue. If you are logging in using your server username via ftp then it's best if you create a folder in your home directory and use that.

well.. create a virtual host that uses for example /home/[user]/public_html as your web root folder
depending on your webserver, do a search for how to "create virtual host for apache" or "nginx" and set your webroot to /home/[user]/public_html

Also if you are the only one using this server it's safer to just use SFTP using than regular FTP. You can use SFTP with your current SSH credentials

Can you walk me through making the changes you've suggested along with the best settings for the vsftpd config.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back