Status
Not open for further replies.

lakshyak

DOWNLOADING TORRENTS:

Torrent Client

Now this is the first step in downloading torrents, it is important to have a good torrent client before downloading torrents.

A torrent client is the program you use to download the torrents.

I would recommend two clients. Azeurus and Utorrent

Both of them are the best torrent clients and can control multiple torrents with a lot of settings and options.

Announcement Time Error

This is an error that sometimes occurs in utorrent. (And maybe azuerus, not to sure.) An easy way to fix this is to right click the torrent that you see the error with and select "Update Torrent".

Or you can make the announcement time longer. Check the "Optimizing utorrent Guide"

If all else fails, remove all your torrents from your torrent client, reboot ur computer and put the torrents back on. Try this as a last resort.

Torrents

Do Not Download Anything You Want!

When you download a torrent, make sure you check the seeder to leecher ratio.
This means make sure that there are more leechers than seeders.

For example:
Seeder/Leecher
Ratio
Torrent 1: 150 seeders + 200 leechers = .75

Torrent 2: 1 seeder + 50 leechers = .02

Torrent 2 is better because its seeder to leecher ratio is lower.

Even though Torrent 1 has more leechers that ratio is high, which is bad if you want to raise your ratio.

That is the type of torrent you want to download. But, downloading Torrent 1 would not be such a bad idea, but you absolutely need to do partial seeding with that type of torrent

If there are more leechers than seeders, then you have a greater chance of people leeching of you. This means more people will leech of you and your uploading speed will go through the roof. And if you upload a lot, your ratio will grow.

Now when you get a good ratio and have 1 or 2gigs more uploaded than downloaded, then you can download anything you want. You have ratio to spare so now you can download anything and not worry about going under the ratio of 1.05.

*Note*
The information above is mainly for people with low ratio and are desperate for a higher ratio.

If you have a ratio well over 1.00, a few gigs to spare and patience, you can download a torrent like Torrent 2. But, then you have to leave it open for a while (and I mean a while) to upload the same amount that you download, but then, after a while, you'll make up for it, and more.

Download "Uploading Torrents"

I don't know if there is a technical term for it, but I call it an uploading torrent.

What it is, is a torrent in which you have no interest in but download for the purpose to upload.

For example, every now and then, I download a torrent, that I have absolutely no interest in. It will have like 1 or 2 seeders, but like 30-50 leechers, now I might not be able to download the entire thing, but I don't care.

I just downloaded the torrent to upload it. Because there are so much more leechers, you will upload more than you download.

Don't Completely Download "Uploading Torrents"

A.K.A. "Partial Seeding"

Because you do not care for an uploading torrent, u shouldn't care whether it completely downloads.

Therefore, when opening the torrent in utorrent of what ever torrent client you use, only select about a 700megs to 1 gig.

Or, you can manually turn off the download when it is around 15-20% completed.

To pick how many parts of a torrent to download is really simple. When you first open the torrent, you get a window like this.

Next, you should click the "Select None" (Inside the Red Circle). Now you will select only a few parts to download so you can Partial Seed. Keep in mind the new size of the torrent while you select the parts. (Inside Blue Circle).

Now, when you select the parts, there are a few parts that are downloaded more often then others. Usually, that is the first and last couple of parts. Now, as you are selecting, watch the size of the torrent. If the full torrent is under 700 megs, only select about 100 megs. If the full torrent is 4 gigs, only select about 100-700 megs.

You will only download that amount, but because there are a lot of leechers, you will be able to seed the crap out of it.

Also, if you do this, in your profile, it will always say that you're leeching this torrent even thought your torrent client says you downloaded 100%.

This is because you only downloaded a part of the torrent, so don't worry about that.

Download New Torrents

The newest torrents are usually in demand. Therefore, the seeder to leecher ratio is in your favor, there will be more people downloading this popular torrent then people seeding. Your uploading speed will blossom.

Seed Seed Seed

Seed almost everything you download! The only time I stop seeding something is when there are no more leechers and a ton of seeders and I have uploaded about 1.2 times the amount I have downloaded.

This all means, that after a while, many people will have downloaded a torrnet, and if this happens, people with higher uploading speed's will seed, and everyone will want to download the torrent from them, not you. (Which is the case in most old torrents.)

When I said that I stop seeding when I have uploaded 1.2 times as much as I downloaded, this means that what ever the amount of downloading you had to do to get the torrent, you uploaded 1.2 times the amount.

Seeding Torrent You Already Downloaded

Lets say, for example, you download a torrent from TD and you accidentally deleted the torrent. There is a way to get it back on your Torrent Client to continue seeding it.

Also, if you download a file from another site, (Not TD) and it's exactly the same, (meaning that it's packed in many rar files) and has the same nfo and extra files as a torrent from TD, you can start seeding it back on TD for some free ratio points.
smile1.gif

The only downside is that it's uncommon to find an exact torrent, but if you do then you can go ahead and seed it back here.

All you have to do is select the same torrent on the site you want to seed it to. Next, point the torrent to the directory in which the files you already have are located in, and that's it.

Limit Uploading Speed

For me, when I'm downloading a torrent, my internet is really slow. Plus, my upload rate is really unstable.

The solution. Limit your uploading speed!

I know it sounds crazy, but this will not only stabilize your uploading speed but for me, my internet is working like normal.

Don't Stop

Most people think that when they have reached a ratio of .50 (the minimum uploading ratio) they can stop seeding.

WRONG

Never stop seeding! Always try to seed, even when you get a ratio of 1.05 (the ratio which is required to become promoted) never stop.

Some people on the site have a ratio of 10.00. This means they upload ten times the amount of what they downloaded.

The reason why you want to have a high ratio, is because if you have a low ratio, and you want to download something thats like 4 gigs and is very old without any leechers, you can't without dramatically lowering you ratio and worrying about being booted from the site.

But people with high ratio's can download this torrent, and still have a ratio over 1.00.

Hope this helped :).

Credits: TR :)

1 comment
TIP: Getting All Active Trackers For A Torrent

Sometimes when people make torrents, they track it on a few trackers, then publish it to websites. Pretty much all the time, these torrents are then added to other trackers, however the new trackers are not included in the .torrent file's tracker list.
The quickest way that I know of in getting the tracker list is from torrentz.com, here is the URL to visit to get the list.

Code:
http://www.torrentz.com/announce_torrent-hash

Example:
Code:
http://www.torrentz.com/announce_d367f34247b93523d2a6d9ea344f14234f6aabab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back