Status
Not open for further replies.

chadwickb4

I was just notified by my web host that they received a letter from a company called Brien(a company that fights copyright infringement), in the Netherlands, in which is the same country that my site Potlocker.net is hosted, and they said that Brien is asking for 2000 Euros for legal consultation for the lawsuit they filed, and at the moment my site is still running, but they said they are forced to remove my site because of this. I was wondering if I host it in Netherlands with a different company, Brien will just send out a letter to them too, or something? Would I escape there power if I host Potlocker.net in another country and what country or web-host would you recommend. Surly there must be an option so that I can keep the site alive.

16 comments
ah you should now stop using NL for your site hosting bcoz BREIN would send notice to new hoster as well (if it is not auto msg) & one of the hoster might give out ur private info like IP. better buy hosting from russia. I cant say if Russia is totally safe or something but atleast better than NL & best till u get another notice by russian authority.

Russia would be fine. Though if you went with a RBN company that sits in the Netherlands they would require a court order before removing your site. Though it is best to be safe. If you can't find a good Russian host maybe aim for Hong Kong.

Edit: Just seen your with Altushost ... Ask for a copy of the letter if possible. I doubt Brien is asking for money from you to take you to court. That's BS, if they took you to court there would be a filing asking for damages for their court fee's. Not a pre trial payment.

Last edited:
Yes BREIN is pretty hard to deal with especially when it's in their own territory.

Move your site to another location.

Russia would be fine. Though if you went with a RBN company that sits in the Netherlands they would require a court order before removing your site. Though it is best to be safe. If you can't find a good Russian host maybe aim for Hong Kong.

Edit: Just seen your with Altushost ... Ask for a copy of the letter if possible. I doubt Brien is asking for money from you to take you to court. That's BS, if they took you to court there would be a filing asking for damages for their court fee's. Not a pre trial payment.

You must have heard everything is allowed in Russia from another ignorant user. Russia has some of the strongest anti-privacy laws around now.

Thanks for the help, if anyone is curious here is the copy of the email I got from Altushost.

Hi,

Your last issue solved yesterday.

We're involved with a new problem with the site.

Brien got power of court to act world wide. This time they are acting against website http://potlocker.net due to unauthorized use of entertainment content.

They are treating with lawsuit and asking for over 2000EUR for legal consultation regarding this issue. So Unfortunately, we are obliged to remove your site.

Our techs will send your full backup asap!

so they are saying that Brien can act Worldwide and there is no hiding from them?

ask for it from Brien or the host? I actually did get a threatening email from Brien a few months ago but I asked the web host if I should take it seriously or just ignore it, and they said just ignore it, so I have no reason to believe the web host is lieing to me about this.

I would contact Brien about this. Don't bring any attention to your website when you contact them though. I would simply ask them if they have recently contacted your host with any DMCA letters. I see a few people hinting at this, but never really came out and said this. Is there a possibility that they didn't send any letter at all?

What you got is fake email and extortion email from your host, move to some host who won't go that low, to ask you for 2000 euros. Just move away from them, you probably got absolutely nothing but fake email from scam host. Nothing new. Old tricks. If it was really BREIN and they got contact by them, your site would be down already, since it's still up, it's not them.

Exactly what I was thinking about the situation cvrle77. It seemed like people where hinting at it, but were afraid of saying it or something. Move to a new web host and don't worry about it.

You must have heard everything is allowed in Russia from another ignorant user. Russia has some of the strongest anti-privacy laws around now.
If it's from the US? They don't give a damn. I've dealt with one of the let's say shady companies there for a good six years now and not one problem. If it was Russian based content you will probably face troubles. As I suggested there is still Hong Kong. If worst comes to worse he could host in Iran. I'm not going to argue on this as I know from my experience.

Also about Altushost, they do make false claims that they need extra money from you.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1195639
IF a Ddos that bad was happening they would of unplugged the server at the data center. There is a post there showing some issues with their site...
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8359453&postcount=16 < Is the post

Brein (mind the spelling, 'Brain' in Dutch) has only jurisdiction in The Netherlands. And even in The Netherlands nobody takes them serious.

But if they don't want to host you, move away. And it looks that your host gave you only info about the 2000 Euros. I fail to see they ask for it.

Last edited:
I went with xsltel.com. the person I talked to with them seems to be pretty nice and understanding,and willing to help, thanks to every one for the advice.

@ chadwickb4, Good choice ... thats exactly what i did when i had Same problem (BRIEN) with my site.

Moved to XSLtel.com .... great host with awesome support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back