So, what comes after File Hosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eLight

This is a thread intended for serious discussions, so try to add something informative! What happens when RapidShare, HotFile, Megaupload or any of the major file hosts disappear or close down? What do you guys think comes next? Or do you think that File Hosts will be around in their current format for some time to come? What about the future of file hosts?

I personally am not sure what comes next. But my best guess is a hybrid between a torrent like P2P system and a file hosting interface. That may sound a little crazy but I think people making the big dollars from file hosting at the moment may want to get away from hosting things in a central location.

I don't however think that the "scene" will ever go back to what it used to be. Now that people have realized that there are methods of making money from file sharing, this will always be the case. In my opinion it's only a matter of time before the RIAA, MPAA or others finally get PayPal to crack and stop allowing subscription services to file hosts. Let's face it, PayPal are probably responsible for 90% of sign ups if not more and that would also be a large amount of their reoccurring member base making monthly payments or quarterly payments for instance. I dare say that a lot of the people who make the payments via PayPal may not even have a Credit Card at all.

I think the RIAA and MPAA will realize that it may make more sense to target all file hosts at once, let's face it they are money hungry bastards... So, someone like PayPal would be the perfect option. This has already happened in one case against HotFile, PayPal is named. But I don't think that PayPal are ready to pull the pin just yet. The revenue from File Hosts would be a considerable amount. Probably tens of millions of dollars a year. And if they get rid of one File Host they likely have to get rid of them all. Will it happen? I don't know, maybe eventually... But not just yet.

If PayPal were to go I imagine someone like Alert Pay wanting to fill that void. It would take a lot of time for users to convert over away from PayPal, but it would slowly happen. Then the cycle would repeat...

I think the major Movie and Music studios need to wake up to themselves though. Think of the amount of people who have 2, 3 or even 4+ subscriptions to file hosts at $10 a month. That's a total of $40 a month or more, that's a pay TV subscription or quite a lot of movie tickets. People are willing to spend money on their entertainment and other needs. It just depends on the format they get it in, how they get it, and how much of it.

24 comments
If there are millions of people downloading warez, then there is a demand. If an alternative gateway for transactions is needed, then it will populate and people will make the transition.

File hosts. They need to be thought of from a conceptual stand point. As in, a remotely accessible file that you can obtain (or interact with). Whether or not they are called file hosts, whether or not they retain the same structure...doesn't matter.

What you failed to contain in this thread was the increasing variety of alternatives such as NetFlix. Everyone is so caught up in the legalties and the newly saturated file hosting industry, that they let NetFlix, Hulu, etc. sweep right under the rug.

The entire cloud infrastructure will change how everything works. People pay $10 -$40 dollars a month to access illegal material. Well, if they can get all they want legitimately for the same cost, why wouldn't they.

Example

Person A cannot afford to pay $60 dollars per Xbox 360 game. So, they go through the hassle of flashing their Xbox 360 and downloading games. Due to uploaders using a variety of hosts they purchase multiple premium accounts, which in turn cost $40 dollars a month. But hey, they get all the games they want.

Now, all the games are accessible in the cloud, and the consoles are able to retrieve them. For $20 bucks a month, Person A can now play any game they want, at any time, without waiting.

Last edited:
I don't think that Filehosts will go away 100% but they will stop rewarding for downloads which leads to users leaving their service (RS is a great example).

I think torrents will always be there, Especially private trackers. It will never be the same as long as filehosts keep rewarding users for downloads. If every single filehost stopped rewarding then maybe the scene could really go back to the way it was and only people who really want to share will upload.

maybe a 2012 version of usenet? uploaders(to filehosts as it exists today) charging the downloaders(people who buy premiums) to directly transfer the data

I think in coming days File Hosts monopoly will be over. As forums and secret sites with premium services will evolve on a bigger area and provide what users want on their personal servers, it's still in progress.

Whatever govt. or copyright owner will do, piracy will b one step ahead. If the want to stop it that badly then it should be listed among big crimes like Murder. >:) (Hang Till Death)

We can't take Paypal responsible for anything, if it wasn't Paypal someone else.

In my opinion he whole Copyright system should be removed.:D

Thanx n regards

I think if everything goes into naught & filehost system gets demolished due to non-payment(!!), then services like seedbox & torrentflux will be the next option. It will be a mass usage spree then.

The thing which elight quoted above as -
"a hybrid between a torrent like P2P system and a file hosting interface" - it does actually exist already. But to be used by normal people, I think it need to be improved upon & made more user friendly.

But, the last thing as it seems, filehosting(paid or, not) if goes away,which is still not a possibility unless we are put under a "future crime" system, in that extreme world torrents can't live either. We will probably be back to the pre-internet age :|

"So, what comes after file hosts ?"

this is my thought :

- another one will appear
- torrent will be popular again
- paypal will not doing business with any file hosts
- surviving file host will use bitcoin or something simillar to attract uploader
- wjunction is closed due the feds found one of copyrighted image/icon used by the member :p
- google will be just like baidu
- there are will be a great-great firewall of internet in the usa and followed by another countries
- we suck
- we die
- capitalism will laugh at you
- i hope i still can lol and buy some drink n smoke

I think this thread is a pot-kettle. The traffic generated to start this website is originally from katz, a warez-related website. Advertisements that pay for the server now are either from file-hosts or warez-related services. You are part of the problem you state you are against.

On topic though, im not entirely sure, but I am sure that warez will never die. If you charge too much for beer, people sell counterfeit beer. If you charge too much for "brand" clothes, counterfeit clothes become popular. Until they charge what the consumer deems a "reasonable price", warez will never die. It will just go further and further underground until people start charging £5 for a disc full of goodies from a friend of a friend.

There has been some form of "Warez" since computers became somewhat mainstream. I remember trading 5.25 floppies with friends with different software on it. Later on you could use your 1200 baud (1.2kbit/s) modem to dial into a "BBS Service" hosted in someones basement and download Warez. I remember spending about 2 weeks downloading a 3 meg game.

Warez isn't going anywhere, although the distribution may change and once again become somewhat of a hassle to deal with. Will have to wait and see.

Honestly, inspiring myself on what shareshiz said so beautifully about prostitutes, when a mac or a local Columbian drug dealer living at an official adress gets caught, doesn't another one emerges soon after the one is busted ? It's a vicious cycle... and it will never end...

I think both private torrents, filehosts and encrypted P2P will still survive till a next way to share - maybe decentralized - like you said may emerge.

Whatever will be the laws, human intelligence will always find out a technical way to share something data, knowledge or political opinions, whether it's legal or not... I think as some of you, we need a global license for media contents. I'm a former musician, and at first i thought internet was the cause of quality loss in the record business and it's certainly what makes me interested about that way of sharing media. So the only solution is for media corporation to pirate themselves to reduce the real piracy lol

And yes people will pay, so no more mythical stars and storytelling, just music, movies makers still living well but without millions.. don't cry on them lol

I mean everything you do is political indirectly, and if you earned money from counterfeiting lady gaga's records, i think it's a very good action for future generations...lol And that greedy bitch will still be rich at the end of the day... SO WTF? The Coal era is over, Oil will die in 40 years and they still want to suck every tiny drop off it... They outdated and the people knows it, that's why they don't buy records anymore, not because of piracy.

Technology is a hard drug many drug free people can't live without. I remember once in my country, there was violence all across the country because of 2 young kids electrocuted in a transformator to hide from the policemen who seek them... A very serious study has proven that the climax of these event could have been linked to shortage of cannabis in the projects... And when you think of it, it might make sense...

Crisis, unemployement, Banks and Finance robbing innocent people instead of big corporations...
If a copryrighted file is somewhat like a jack daniels copyrighted whisky bottle, imagine what a digital prohibition could be for the states??? It will always be worse....

What an epic era, isn't it? My country has know WW2, my grand parents too, their generation has fight for better working conditions, the right to have payed hollidays, pension and so on...

Reading over this entire post has been very interesting to me. There appears to be 3 different general opinions by people. Number 1 - file host will make a comeback eventually and everything will return to normal. Number 2 - the file host scene as we know it is coming to an abrupt end, but warez will live to see another day in some other form. Number 3 - the US government has now officially claimed the internet (insert Al Gore joke here), and they will attempt to make stiff punishments which in turn forces this all underground. Now personally I lean with a mixture of 2 and 3. History will repeat itself and warez will find another way back, but I feel this time the fight may get a little bit ugly. It will probably play out a lot like when the MPAA was suing every personal p2p user under the sun. But as we already saw with that, scare tactics don't work when used that blatantly, they just make public outrage. I just question in my mind how long and how much will it take for the public to wake up and see the MPAA/RIAA for who they are. If all the outrage from SOPA/PIPA was also directed in the form a boycott of the MPAA/RIAA, it would finally effectively send a message to their greedy overfilled wallets.

Anyways, I would love to suggest the next model that should be used mainstream at least temporarily. I have been impressed after seeing it used by psxhaven (dot) com. What they do is spread out multipart archives in emails, the email inbox space then effectively becomes a file host. You then can create as many emails as you need for server space. The best part being it's all very streamlined with this Mail Resender program and it's about 10x faster than normal non premium file host. I know the flaw is there is not as much incentive for uploaders, but I'm sure someone could make a profitable system for that. And shockingly people don't jump in and change the password, I think there is something done that prevents it. At that point what options do the feds have, to shut gmail or yahoo down? That's not going to happen.

The second a decentralized p2p system is created and used on a large scale, many of the rich corporations here in the US will kick and scream at congress & do whatever it takes to have ISP's police everything its users do. Same to the rest of the world.

Mark my fucking words, p2p will always be under attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back