site suspended, cpu usage too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any medium to high end forum is going to need a dedicated server lower to mid you will mainly need at least 4gb dedicated ram and 2-4ghz cpu, if you get like a dual core with 4gb of ram I think you would be fine, but if you get cpanel and run other things that requires ram too, so make sure you set aside 1-1.5gb for things like that.. it really mainly depends on how many people are online at once, and you also need to optimize things like the mysql, forum software, apache, etc..

You should be able to get this for around $100 with cpanel, or $75 without a cp.

Wow! I run a 2 gig db with 4K members and 750K posts and IPB 2.36 on a shared host. Most online 3600. So I don't know what you mean by high end forum???????

Wow! I run a 2 gig db with 4K members and 750K posts and IPB 2.36 on a shared host. Most online 3600. So I don't know what you mean by high end forum???????

You can as long as you want. But you can't upgraded to new technology. if you do. you are counted in the list of High CPU consumers.

247host

If you choose to use bloated software and choose not to thoroughly optimize it you are absolutely correct. Also the more hooks/apps/mods you add from unknown programmers will cause problems no matter the software you choose.

I am going to try the upgrade to 3.23 and see how the resources are used.

Last edited:
I highly doubt 3600 people are online, or your stat counter goes back a day or two, just 500 users online would eat through 4-8gb of ram alone, and your saying 6x that amount.

I highly doubt 3600 people are online, or your stat counter goes back a day or two, just 500 users online would eat through 4-8gb of ram alone, and your saying 6x that amount.

Depends what queries they are running.
I have seen 450 users online on an IPB board and using less than 1GB RAM

even at that he is talking about almost 4000 users online at once, so 8x yours and that's pretty low, which would bring a minimum of 8gb of ram no shared hosting company in the world would give you that unless your paying $100+ a month or likes going broke.

Most of those clients will be swapped out because of sitting idle and reading pages or getting links and testing them then going back to get more links or read an article.

So out of those 4000 how many would be active?? Unless he has ajax scripts automatically updating. Snow storms and other intensive usage hooks/apps/mods.

So you have to be careful in how may chars and rows from mysql are returned and how it is sorted and displayed.

So depending on whether he has taken the time (which most don't) to go through the admin panel cpu savings sections and hooks/apps/mods to see what can be done to optimize usage he can definitely be forced to keep getting bigger servers and it never stops.

You can allow one ip to get 20-350 but why? Use iptables and limit each ip to 2 max. So many ways to stop paying so much and so few want to take the time to learn them.

So my suggestion to him is to check and see in his logs what the usage is coming from ..

Determine in mysql what can be done to correct it? New indices, return smaller amounts of data in sort change sort routines , stop ajax updates.

If server determine if you have IPs using 50-100 connections at one time and stop it.

Find if any one script or or app/hook/mod is overwhelming the system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back