Should Free hosting be allowed on WJ? What do you think about the rules for hosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichole

Banned
Banned
So yeah, discussion has been going on with the staff about the issue, so I figured I would bring it up to the users to hear what they think about the issue, I mainly would be the first number one provider of shared hosting services, just to show everyone what a host could be, It's currently not allowed by the rules, and what would everyone have to lose? You can't expect everything you would with paid but at least reliable services, and no costs to you, unless you wanted to upgrade with the host. I believe this would be a main reason for hosts to offer free services is for them to try it and use it and when they see it's very fast, reliable they will end up upgrading to a larger package or getting a server from them in the long run.

What do you think and what would be the pros/cons of it?

One thing I will admit is you really have zero to lose except bad services, you can't expect support or fast support due to the overhead costs of things but at least you aren't out any money if they do end up going down, or going out.

I hope they do start making a lot of changes in the rules and how hosts operate, a few things I was thinking of is having hosts that sell on here must have a business license, or registered with the irs or registered with a country it's located in or ran out of, list if they re-sell another providers services, if they co-locate if so proof, or if they are doing something different then list it, list employee's that work for the company by first/last name so if someone does screw someone or they screw the company people will have an idea who to sue or go after or if they need to sue the company at least someone will get traced down to something they used, one major thing I was thinking is having them submit a digital copy by copier, camera, scanner of the owners or person selling/running the company's drivers license, idenification card, or something showing who they are, where they live, and at least a city/state, I would block out there exact address but keep this for the staff incase something going wrong you will have something to turn to, and mask out license number(even from staff) or anything you think should be personal, This way if something bad does happen, someone can contact the staff, they can verify the company is offline, or ripping the person off and proof they were/are a customer then the staff member submit the person's full name, and city/state so he could file a lawsuit against the company or person. If you were to ever do this rule, I would make it so only a certain amount of people could access this data due to the high sensitivity of it have like only the TOP 2 staff members that are active only the one's that can receive or access this data, and submit the information to the customers.

One more major thing I wanted to do and I'm sure others would agree would to have it so there is a team like "HOSTING ENFORCEMENT TEAM" which would review new hosts, or reviews on hosts randomly, so when they submit there information about there company, the team or a set person would check to see if they are telling the true about, re-selling, co-locating(verifying with data-center or some other method), if they own ip space, how many data-centers they are with, if they had any previous companies or worked for any, any current or previous issues with customers, verify if there billing panel is legit or not, see if the site is secured or any problems with the site like errors/ordering problems(test the order system), see if they are a registered business with a state/government/irs, see if they use private whois data, verify phone numbers work/emails/tickets/live chat, if they say they have 24/7 support then test it by submitting test tickets or something similar to that.

Well thanks for reading about what I have to say and some improvements that I really think could weed out all the bad hosts, or hosts that state something and do something completely different, please let me know of what you think on all the issues, and if you agree or disagree with anything, including any input to help out the staff, customers, and even help the hosts.

9 comments
I would say yes & no If a paid host offers free hosting I would say yes if a free host only comes around hell no. Most free host are 14 to 16 yr kids who get one crappy server & have no idea how to run a free host so the speeds are crap & 6 to 8 months later the host folds

I think you're asking a lot. When users get screwed here, it's their own fault. Everyone knows there is only one or two real hosts here. The rest that do not know have not done their research. No way should you pick a host in just one day. When a offer is too good to be true, it usually is. WJ is not known for having quality hosting options.

In short things are fine.

Your asking to much as Jesse said,

There are enough rules in place for web hosting here on WJ, The no free hosting is infect for past reasons things that have happened here before on WJ that and well it gets annoying after awhile with all the free host threads.

Oh yes yes and ask the "12 year old" free host provider to send his passport or whatever age proof because he wants to provide something for free. Come on guys, be realistic.

Either keep the present rule and completely remove it. But don't start something like "age verification" because in that case, trust me, that person won't give a fuck whether he's allowed to promote his free service here because there are tons of webmaster forums as good as WJ where he can promote it. This is not DP or WF, we should not act as if we are the best in this specific genre of forums and have such rules, because like I said, no one would care.

Well I think that's the major problem if it's happening so often, something isn't right, Just a few simple things could prevent headaches for all the members of WJ not the staff.

Your ideas would get WJ directly involved which I have already said is a bad idea.

Code:
http://www.wjunction.com/1177494-post53.htm

JGM.

free hosting will not be good for people, because for sure there would be some lacking of like support or good servers or may be any other thing, that I can not mention.

Short answer: NO

Free hosting will bring allot of nobies with them here on WJ trying to get a free (offshore) host suiting them, we all know that free hosts usually have bad support, maintenance, security, and so on, so why allow them if we are doing just fine like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back