Review: TrueGameReview.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp32

Sup guys, I've made a game review website with a good friend irl and was wondering if you could take the time to give me a little review, suggestions on possible widgets to install, maybe a different paid for theme from WordPress that centers around game postings.

http://www.truegamereview.com/

Running 8 core AMD FX 8350 processor alongside DDR3 1333MHz Corsair RAM, 1GB nVidia GTX 650 and my awful old hard drive with weak speeds but yeah, I'm gonna be doing video reviews at the highest quality that allows, and it seems to allow the max on dead space 3 and devil may cry 5 so far so looking pretty hopeful.

If anyone is interested feel free to send me a PM or drop a comment.

Cheers <3

10 comments
Overall 8/10

Normally im really picky but now im not going to. Only thing that annoys me is the header text not being
centered compared to the content boxes.

Also get a favicon :)

I don't think the dark theme is a good choice for a website with a lot of written content. I don't like the way the theme looks (I guess it's a personal preference thing). As for themes your best bet would be to look on ThemeForest. Because you're running WordPress you should install WordPress SEO by Yoast and WP Super Cache (speeds your website up).

Hey Sp32 how are you?

Just a quick review of your site for you bro.

On the right hand side, it feels empty. When you have visitors that come to your site, you want it packed with as much stuff as you can think of. It helps keep the members active, and gives your site the larger than it is effect. Right now when I go to your site, it feels small. Probably because it is, but a few addons and adding more reviews, news and videos to the right hand side can help fill up the blank a little bit for you.

Lets go top to bottom on your site. It's easier that way.

Starting off at the top of your site, we have your header image. The header image isn't bad, but you can do so much more. I would suggest creating an entirely new banner, making the height about 80px larger than it already is. Push your site title to the left, then to the right add a 768x60 banner slideshow that will feature your newest game reviews.

Getting to the navbar, the blue color doesn't go well with the black background. You also don't have many categories. What you need to do is add more categories, such as Home, About, Reviews, Videos, Categories, New Releases, Contact Us, Register. Then off to the right you should have a user/pass login form. Put the search function above in the header right below your new 768x60 slideshow.

Moving along to the content now. The images of the games are way to big and take up too much space, especially when in comparison to the amount of preview text you are showing for the review. You need to make these images smaller and show much more text than you are offering. It's all about balancing at this point. You need a fair and balanced view of your site.

I would ultimately suggest changing your skin, since it doesn't boast a full amount of features that you could have when using a different one.

You also have no favicon.
Your site title needs to be expanded, as it is just too basic "True Reviews". Maybe make it.. "TrueGamerReview.com - Where True Gamers Review xBOX, PS3, Wii & PC Games"
No keywords?
No alt/img tags?

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm good cheers buddy, long time no see, I hope you're alright.

I'm slowly working on adding more stuff as I don't want to overload myself and get sick and tired of modifying, I really appreciate your tips and I do agree with a lot of things you have said such as making the height of the banner bigger and I shall add stuff to the right sidebar as I agree, it does look small-time at the moment.

Last edited:
Whoops, it updated the template and it reverted code that I had added, logo is now back again.

Thanks for the feedback.

Design is pretty nice but I am not sure it is suitable for a website with a lot of text. You should go with something light. As you use Wordpress, you can look around themeforest for themes. They have a lot of awesome stuff and you can always customize it to make it unique to your site. Also, if you haven't already, Install Yoast SEO and W3 Total Cache for SEO Optimization and speeding up the website and tuning performance. Logo could also be better...but go with another theme overall if you ask me.

If you want a look at what I mean with a light styled theme, take a look at http://gamingnextgen.com

Great Domain (y) Seriously!
Favicon is missing, Maybe fix that.
The theme & color combination look pretty great. Great work done right there!
The Banner is amazing. Best i have seen yet in the site reviews section. :)
Maybe you should add Game Trailers to the category & write something about them too. (Just Saying)

And also do something about this error i pointed out in the picture below:
7LCmMNY.jpg

Keep up the great work mate (y)

Your logo should be on left side, also text is not looking good on black background, I think if you could change text.

Also whole theme need a change I guess, secondly it have a bit slow speed, I recommend using a amazon cdn or google page speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back