Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp32

I'm not very clued up on PayPals terms and conditions so I have a question to ask you all...

Say if I bought a Server which cost around 150$ and I got a real bad service/permanant downtime, or if the server company never gave me what I paid for..

Would I be able to get my money back?

Is there anyway to secure that I will get my money back or is it definitely gone?

Because I definitely don't want to be 150$, get scammed and lose my money..

I heard it was best to have the money in my bank account and for paypal to take it out of there, because then if PayPal don't refund me my bank will.. Is that true?

Thanks,

Faithfully,

- Sp32

19 comments
Depending on the data center, No you would not

Most Data centers will refund you if you can provide proof that there was downtime,bad service.

May i ask which Data Center you went through ?

I haven't actually been scammed I am just seeing if I'd get my money back in case worst comes to worst (As it usually does online) and I see a lot of threads about people getting ripped off so I want to cover myself..

Would I be able to open up a dispute and get my money back that way?

You could open a dispute, But if it is an actual data center usually they do not offer refunds for Dedicated Servers since it involves actual labor did you read there terms of service before purchasing and i will ask agian may i know the host Sp32 ?

I haven't bought anything I'm just considering starting up a new business plan which will require an expensive dedicated server.

Ah sorry i've been up for a while i misread the first part of your thread here, But yeah as i said just make sure to actually contact a data center before hand read there AUP/TOS
make sure you are confident before making a purchase a good thing to look for is live chat, phone number so you know its not a kid just reselling servers we have a lot of those around here.

Ah lol, I'm still up on coffee...

So basically someone could pretend to be a server company, sell me a fake service, not provide me with any login details and I get left with no ways of getting my money back?

I had a bad experience with Spacerich.com for legal sites.. I bought their most expensive VPS based on several good/positive comments on WebHostingTalk.

Got fucked. Lost all traffic of my clientes. Opened a dispute on PayPal with lots of screenshots, chat support logs everything that would proof my legitimate of a refund.

Their decision? Spacerich was 'correct' and my payment is unrefundable. :P

I dunno about PayPal actions in other cases.. but this was my bad one

Thanks Aish,

Sorry to hear about that, that's obviously really unfortunate for you,

This is why I don't want to spend a large amount of money..

I am just wondering if I used my credit card in my PayPal and went to my bank company if I got ripped off and if they'd refund it for me.

@ Aish,

Spacerich is a rather large host how ever they resell all dedicated servers from BurstNET pretty much,

@ Sp32

i would be advised if anyone pm's you with offers simply do not take them, if your looking for hosting here in the usa i suggest you look into softlayer,limestonenetworks,phenoxnap i use iWeb they are located in canada and are suburb

Yeah ive been around WHT and have noticed a lot but indeed they are a reseller it is listed in there site so at least they are honest but imo i'd never buy from a company that can not "hands on" handle the actual equipment

The thing is paypal wouldn't do a thing if you open dispute stating the item you received is significantly not as described since the item is intangible and paypal don't cover intangible items.

The data centers are unlikely to refund you. You need to read their TOS first about refund policies and such and if everything's not clear, email them and ask for details. Do not buy from unknown resellers, buy directly from well known data centers like SoftLayer or Evoswitch who are unlikely to scam you.

Finally, if worst comes to worst and you want to cover your ass, make your payment using a credit card and do a chargeback. That's the best way to get your money back but do try to negotiate with the data center about possible options before doing the chargeback.

Good luck with your business :)

I'm not very clued up on PayPals terms and conditions so I have a question to ask you all...

Say if I bought a Server which cost around 150$ and I got a real bad service/permanant downtime, or if the server company never gave me what I paid for..

Would I be able to get my money back?

Is there anyway to secure that I will get my money back or is it definitely gone?

Because I definitely don't want to be 150$, get scammed and lose my money..

I heard it was best to have the money in my bank account and for paypal to take it out of there, because then if PayPal don't refund me my bank will.. Is that true?

Thanks,

Faithfully,

- Sp32
In other words u sound fishy and thus can use this to scam others i see..

Hmmmm lol

Use your creditcard as a source of funding. Then, if you get scammed by the DC (in terms of poor service quality) and they refuse to refund you, you can ask your CC company to reverse the charge on the card. Tell them it was an unauthorized transaction, that should suffice (in most cases).

The paypal dispute/claim is more of a hit and miss as opposed to actual dispute resolution. They don't care. I've myself lost a few cases on intangible items, and won others. So there's not a pattern, or for that matter, an actual judgement. Paypal will not go out of their way to help you, and if the seller isn't honest, they obviously wont.

Which then leaves you with who? Your CC company, provided the transaction was charged to the CC, and not outta Paypal balance. I'm not quite sure if it works that way in the case of a direct debit (bank transfer).

Thanks a lot lifetalk, I guess it's just something what depends on certain circumstances. Please close this thread now ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back