PayPal Co-Founder Gives Out $100,000 To Not Go To College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Paypal co-founder Peter Thiel says the key to quicker business innovation is skipping college. His foundation is handing out $100,000 to 24 people under 20 to drop out of college for two years and start companies. From the press release: "As the first members of the 20 Under 20 Thiel Fellowship, the Fellows will pursue innovative scientific and technical projects, learn entrepreneurship, and begin to build the technology companies of tomorrow. During their two-year tenure, each Fellow will receive $100,000 from the Thiel Foundation as well as mentorship from the Foundation’s network of tech entrepreneurs and innovators. The project areas for this class of fellows include biotech, career development, economics and finance, education, energy, information technology, mobility, robotics, and space."

31 comments
There is always a Risk Factor Involved

If u Drop Out to Start Own Company Maybe You become big else everything is wasted

But if u complete college ur stuck with same job for rest of ur life wondering what if i have dropped out

2nd way has got most success since its guaranty income what so ever

These days, you don't go to college to get an education. You go to college to get a piece of paper that gets you a job.

True. Not like I'm saying college is waste of time but it's all about following your heart. To do what you want to do in life.

EnCiPh3r

Not true, I learned much more about stuff I wanted to learn in my free time. I feel sorry for people who don't have goal in their life, who are given chance to live and they waste it on finishing school thinking that's only way to be successful in life, well I can tell you first hand, it's not.

It may be hard but you control your life. Smart person will find way to reach his goals, weak will find excuses.

Again, do not get me wrong, I support education.

Last edited:
That's bullshit lol. Need I explain the benefits of a proper education over those of not having one and risking your money in an 'innovative business' that could potentially fail leaving you with 'absolutely nothing'?

Yeah, 1 in a few thousand strike lucky. But this $100,000 giveaway will encourage thousands out there to drop out and try something 'innovative'. I wonder how many of them will actually succeed and how many will fail in their life because of some guy who was giving out $100,000 to people to quit education.

@DLow
You're under 20? Married? Twins? Wow, pretty young for a father :|

Last edited:
That's bullshit lol. Need I explain the benefits of a proper education over those of not having one and risking your money in an 'innovative business' that could potentially fail leaving you with 'absolutely nothing'.

Yeah, 1 in a few thousand strike lucky. But this $100,000 giveaway will encourage thousands out there to drop out and try something 'innovative'. I wonder how many of them will actually succeed and how many will fail in their life because of some guy who was giving out $100,000 to people to quit education.

@DLow
You're under 20? Married? Twins? Wow, pretty young for a father :|

LoL DLow pwned :facepalm:

True. Not like I'm saying college is waste of time but it's all about following your heart. To do what you want to do in life.

Although this is true, that's not what society whats you to do. And most of the time, that's not what friends, family wants you to do. They want you to finish high school, go to college and get a job and start a family.

At least thats how it is where I live and I'm pretty sure its like that in a lot of places..

If you don't do that, you might be judged as a failure unless you proved them wrong by opening up your own business or otherwise.

Although this is true, that's not what society whats you to do. And most of the time, that's not what friends, family wants you to do. They want you to finish high school, go to college and get a job and start a family.

At least thats how it is where I live and I'm pretty sure its like that in a lot of places..

If you don't do that, you might be judged as a failure unless you proved them wrong by opening up your own business or otherwise.

Well, here's difference ACE. I do not care what my friends and family think.
Trying to sabotage my goals or even worse telling me I can't do it, is going to make me even more angry.

I don't need such friends and family. My point is, people don't like that, so if let's say you're fat, poor, dumb and you try to change that. Work to become smarter and get cash, exercise to get nice body, people/friends will try to take you down. Because they don't want you to change, they like you as you are, fat, dumb and poor. Because they know they would feel so shitty and jealous if you become hot, smart and rich.

I think that's what most people lack, they are so unstable, so easy to manipulate, think they should always play by the rules.

Yes, my parents always say I'm stubborn, but at same time they are proud because they know I'm one tough motherfucker.

You might say here we have another boohooo thinking hes something but it's true. And I was one of the best in my class (high school + college) but I NEVER EVER put school on #1 place.

Insane? Well, since I was kid I had such attitude, and trust me I like where I am now. You have to be bitch if you want to get somewhere in life, that's it.

It actually is. That piece of paper is what you can fall back on when your 'innovative' business fails 'innovative-ly'.
You can continue your education then. Hey, you at least tried - and you will learn a lot in that process, something you cannot get from attending college.

You can continue your education then. Hey, you at least tried - and you will learn a lot in that process, something you cannot get from attending college.

You need cash to pay for education. Cash you won't have because you invested all of it in your business (most common scenario).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back