Status
Not open for further replies.

seraphim

This asus board is acting strange. often when im opening page which have flash animation, video or ads i hear clicking in speakers and picture starts to freeze, after some time clicking become intensive like sound of rain. When i listen music i get same problem.

p4 2.4
hdd maxtor 320 GB, maxtor 80 GB
p4u800-x asus
2X512 kingston
nvidia 5600

I have tried with other processor and ram, even with other gpu and it tend to have same problem.

This thing happens from time to time.

Anyone have clue what is the problem?

7 comments
Drivers might be.
It depends is it new or old.
Might be that maybe somewhere is metal contact with other parts (maybe applied badly thermal compound, dust.
Fault in hardware also might be.
This problem is common coz most people have it in their pc's as an example when you move mouse it makes noise, hard drive loading, dwdrom loading....
Usually its like somewhere is leakage of current which goes to audio. This typically because bad drivers or faulty hardware (contacts...)
Also if old type motherboard it can be capacitors which get dried after overheating and start performing badly...

I have this machine since 2006 and it's acting like that from time to time. Now is worse than usual. I have noticed that 3.3V rail is lower than it should be. It is 2.8-2.7V. I have tried to reinstall win, to flash bios and i have same problem. Is there any way i can Increase that value? I think that is the problem. It usually come and go on it's own but it pisses me off, i can't even listen music. It is old board but like i said, this thing happened at very start.

WOW an old socket 478 , anyhow if my memory is correct they had a built in sound card.
If so disable and install a PCI sound card as that board had like 4 or 5 pci slots .
As the most likely thing is either the chip or a capitator is faulty as that board is like 6 to 10 years old.

as i said check capacitors, usually they change their form if they are faulty. For voltages check power block maybe same is over there. Coz old pc's where like heaters and if capacitors where near processors, chips or transistors it dried them.
This is how they look bad
images

Thanks for answers people. I have checked, there is no leaked capacitors, but damage don't have to be visual. That means i should change every single capacitor and that would be waste and hard thing to do cause there are SMD elements all over the board, i could easy screw them up and i do not have tools to fix them. I have just regular solder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back