Status
Not open for further replies.

z3r3f

Ok,i'm a total newb at web hosting.Could anyone who has experience with it post how it's done?What hosts do you people recommend?Also what's the difference between registering the domain with the host from whom i'm buying from and from sites like namecheap.com? Thanks

7 comments
First, scout around for a bit. Look at the prices and options they provide for price. You need a shared hosting for start since you wont get much traffic at once. I would recommend you to take host which provide cpanel, it is easy to handle even for a total noob. If you want to make file sharing site or something similar it is better to buy hosting located in Holland or Lithuania, Germany is not bad either. Once you found host that looks good for you buy a domain.
You can buy it at sites like dynadot, activedomains and such.
Go for trusted sites cause some new players do not give what they say (checked)
Depend on content you need to buy a domain whois privacy if you use your real info for registration.
I never bought domain and hosting from same company so i can not say what is the difference. Probably is better to take domain and hosting separately.

Ok, when i take domain,how do i host the domain on the server?Do i have to know how to use linux?I heard a lot of servers use these.

Since you are starter you do not heed to know anything about server management. When you buy hosting you will get name servers which will look something like this
ns1.somewebhost.com
ns2.somewebhost.com
You take those name servers and go to you domain control panel and enter them. After that wait up to 48 hrs (but usually it is done withing 24 hrs, depends on your location) to changes get applied. After that your website or default host page will show up on your domain. Than you can start working on your site with full capacity.

ok, i'm looking at KnownSRV hosting atm and they seem good and reputable.but i saw people saw that shared hosting isn't good because you can get hacked. Also is namecheap good for registering domain?

I suggest that you see the hosting offers here at WJ and read/evaluate reviews, contact the hosting sellers directly and ask them if they can provide you with a beginner support since you're just new. Also, make sure they have 24/7 support because you'll be asking a lot of questions.

With domain registration, take the one with good reviews and with free privacy protection. I think namecheap offers that. Also, avoid registering possible trademark domains. Be sure to take a generic domain that's to avoid any future dispute.

All the best!

I heard people putting false info when registering domain. Won't that be found out when cross-checking with payment processor details? Is it true that using shared hosting can get you hacked?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back